Lets Talk Tunnel Rams / Carbs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

Re: Lets Talk Tunnel Rams / Carbs

Post by andyf »

Casper393W wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 pm A prime example of " One man's junk is another man's treasure"

This build is going to be different on all accounts...
Vehicle is a 1971 F100 short bed when the hood is up I want you to see 1971-74.... I have worked hard on finding period correct parts for the "look". Oh yeah does anyone have a Fram HPG1 Fuel filter they want to get rid of???
I have a couple of Fram HPG1 fuel filters and housings up for sale at the moment.
DSC_1057 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

How much are you looking to get for them?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Casper why not dual dominator carbs? Even with small cube motors always seen gains with dominator. Single or double carbs.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Steve.k wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am Casper why not dual dominator carbs? Even with small cube motors always seen gains with dominator. Single or double carbs.
The main reason is up until now there hasn't ever been a widely marketed Tunnel Ram for a Windsor. You could get one for a Cleveland that had the 4500 mounting. The crazy part is I had bought the Price Motorsports adapters and then it wasn't but a few weeks go by and I see where Holley is finally going to a dedicated intake for the Windsor..

I have looked back at many car magazines from the 70-75 era and I can say that back in the day... If you had a 351 that was a hot rod back then, it wasn't a Windsor forsure!!!

I wish I could find some old Holley 660's for the nostalgia effect!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I was never really a fan of the single pumper/center squirter/one-to-one linkage 660's.

For this application I think I'd probably lean towards some Edelbrock AVS 650's.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm I wouldn't use an 1850 on anything.

The 660's are obsolete IMO. Lots of guys love them. I never did.

I'd use 2 750's and make sure you can tune them, as in changeable bleeds and emulsion. I'd rather see two Proforms on there than either of what you are talking about.
statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm I actually threw two in the garbage August 2015. Brand new in the box. Couldn't give them away.
^^^ TROLL^^^ #-o [-X ~~~~~> :^o
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Casper393W wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm How much are you looking to get for them?
$50 for everything in the picture plus shipping costs.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Tuner wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm
statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm I wouldn't use an 1850 on anything.

The 660's are obsolete IMO. Lots of guys love them. I never did.

I'd use 2 750's and make sure you can tune them, as in changeable bleeds and emulsion. I'd rather see two Proforms on there than either of what you are talking about.
statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm I actually threw two in the garbage August 2015. Brand new in the box. Couldn't give them away.
^^^ TROLL^^^ #-o [-X ~~~~~> :^o

True story. No one wanted them. I couldn't get the scrap guy to take them.
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

You didn't try very hard to find a buyer.. those old center squirters are worth a bunch "brand new in the box" on EBay.. 600.00 easy, jegs is getting
735.00 for 1 new one..
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Yeah lets talk tunnel rams...

I have the ancient Tr1x Edelbrock on a sbc in a slingshot.
I ran it with a single carb and plate, then a single carb with fogger and finally a single carb with a plate and fogger.

The carbs have been 750, 850 and a 950hp.
This winter I'm stepping up to two 850 carbs.
I couldn't find a dual carb top for the sbc manifold so I modified the one I have. I just bought a carb top plate for a blower and welded it on.
I was wondering if I should put a divider between the carbs, creating two plenums, but I will leave that for later unless you convince me othervise. The sbc is 406ci.
I leave the line @ 5000 shift at 7000 and trap 7000+
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Do you have any other carbs available to test compare against?
Edelbrock, Carter, 750 DP holleys (HP), BG/holley "Street Demon"
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I seem to remember a pair of 660's on the 2016 EMC winning engine. I know on my own bracket race car that the 660s were quicker than either a pair of 1850s or 3310s by a .15 second. Going to be trying a pair of QF750S next to compare. Joe-71
Joe-71
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

I will talk to David and see what we can come up with regarding different carbs. We will be pushed for time as we have 2 engines to Dyno with different intake combos on each... Any guesses on what my 393 will make??
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

the 660's have the secondary idle circuit blocked ,, so having 2 balances them out ..cheapest and an effective way for holley to get it done ,,, to get any other carb lean enough on the idle circuit you could do the same or change the carb around ,,, here we go ,, putting on the helmet to be attacked by J Mark ,, put a secondary power valve in whatever your using ,, by doing this you reduce the main jet that WILL lean up the idle for a street car ,, I would start out with a .020 ifr in the carbs front and back , with 4 corner idle adjust , with the throttle plates drilled so it will idle with the idle set screw backed all the way off , make it idle with just the holes in the throttle plates , , this gives you much more adjustment with the idle mix screws , I would start out with a .060 idle bleed and see how it acts ,, your gonna have to experiment
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

i bought some plastic 10-24 set screws from mac master car when ya do something like this , so its much easier to try different combinations before you drill brass and potentially break a drill bit , or whatever ,, handy