Re: 350 Qjet Motorhome

Post by lefty o »

worth trying 3.73's or 4.10's .
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the way i did boats with Q jets during the gasoline crunch was to tighten up the secondary air flap so it did not open, Q jets are calibrated to run wide open throttle just on the primaries. the boat would still get up on plane just took longer.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The first thing to check on an old Quadra jet is to make sure that it isn't getting a heavy float which will make it run too rich a lot of the time and burn tons of extra fuel. A bad choke pulloff was also common.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

You can play around with the APT feature to change cruise AFR as well.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

In that year 350 the compression ratio is likely 8:1 or less. Smaller chamber heads could make a significant improvement. I had a low compression 350 that got 14 mpg freeway. I put 1.72 valve 64 cc heads and an Edelbrock Performer 2101 on the motor and it went up to 18 mpg. There's 1 or 2 mpg to be had playing with the apt. in the 80s most of the Quadrajets were the 800 cfm version. They found the economy didn't suffer from the larger primaries.
So much to do, so little time...
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You can test to see if the engine running rpm
at hyw speed is the big factor by changing the diameter
of the rear tires. Can be either taller or even shorter tires
for the test purpose.. Does a short tire (more engine rpm)
make the fuel mileage worse? Does a taller tire improve
the mileage? Either way can be informative..

On a motor home I bet the BIG factor is body areodynamics
at speed... Reduce body wind drag.

Front spoiler below bumper.. Rear duck tail..(look at the shape of a teardrop. Make it cut thru the air better. Stop air from going under the chassis etc.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

The gears are probably hurting the mileage. Going to 3.73 would probably be a step backward. You would then have a gutless motorhome with poor mileage. Let it spin up and keep that barn door under 65.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

SupStk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 pm The gears are probably hurting the mileage. Going to 3.73 would probably be a step backward. You would then have a gutless motorhome with poor mileage. Let it spin up and keep that barn door under 65.
Good advice.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

Vortec heads 256 260 adv on 108 373 or 410 gears . Optimize the cruise afr and timing
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I'd bet the difference going 65mph compared to 55mph is pretty significant so doing everything to make it efficient at those speeds will be beneficial. I think 3200/3300 at 55 is excessive but I wouldnt change gears. From how you describe it has good tip in and throttle response at those speeds you're probably at or over the torque peak. I'd look at an overdrive transmission to bring it down around 500 rpm. Should still be near the torque peak for good throttle response.

Anything you do though will pale in comparison to helping areodynamics as much as you can. Get to road HP down needed to maintain say 60mph and you'll see real gains.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It would be worthwhile hooking up a vacuum gauge to find out how hard the engine's working under typical cruise conditions. If it's really low, say <6-7" Hg., there's probably not much you can do; I don't think shorter gears would help, given the current RPM. If it's reasonably high, say over 8-9" Hg., I'd pull the APT (adjustable part throttle) plug at the top front of the carb and turn down the adjuster 1/2 turn at a time until a slight surge is felt, then back off 1/2 turn. If this results in a turn or more leaner setting, the effect should be noticeable.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

Im sure you could optimise the tuning and pick up a little performance and economy but the engine rpm is to high to do much and im sure with that mid 80s stock 350 it needs that gear. Thats why i suggested the head and cam change to really pick up the part throttle torque . Maybe a good 2.5 into 3 inch single exhaust. That way you could drop the gear and rpm down .
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Not quite the same but I had a large van that made 10.5 mpg hwy. I pulled the heads, gave it a good valve job, installed a new cam( 204* @ .050 int by 214 @.050 ex 110 lobe sep.) a performer intake and a 600 Edelbrock carb. Then it 11.0 mpg. I played with the jets, rods and power piston springs. My finally adjust was like 3 steps leaner at cruise, and 1 1/2 steps lean at full power according to Edelbrock's jetting charts. I went 1 step stiffer on the springs. Mileage increased 13 - 13.5 mpg hwy while picking up power at all ranges.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Double check that you are not getting nozzle drip at idle, usually only happens with long-er duration cams. Float level should be 1/4".
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Not only a sad level of comp with those era heads, but the chambers burn rate leaves a lot on the table also!
I would also be looking to ditch those Exh Manifolds.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!