BBC Gen VI factory lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Speedbump
Guru
Guru

BBC Gen VI factory lifters

Post by Speedbump »

Is there a down side to using the factory spider/lifter guides/lifters on a BBC build(with the correct block) as opposed to using aftermarket tie bar lifters? It's a lot cheaper to set up but wonder about the reliability on a pump gas 572 that will go 6500 RPM max. Any experiences?
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: BBC Gen VI factory lifters

Post by DaveMcLain »

Speedbump wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm Is there a down side to using the factory spider/lifter guides/lifters on a BBC build(with the correct block) as opposed to using aftermarket tie bar lifters? It's a lot cheaper to set up but wonder about the reliability on a pump gas 572 that will go 6500 RPM max. Any experiences?
I have a few of those out there in jet boat builds with a cam having about .620 lift and they're working just fine in that 5500rpm application. We did test that in a Ford Cleveland engine a number of years ago. I set it up to use factory 5.0 lifters, "dog bones and hold down spider". Then we ran it with a set of Crane tie bar lifters as well. We found the performance to be identical up to 6500rpm. I can't believe a big Chevy would be a whole lot different.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Thanks for the info. Have a .602/.587 left over Comp unit I plan to use. Figure about 160 on the seat and 420 over the nose which is some higher than the original had. Comp shows a factory replacement for $200 and I've seen Delphi's for slightly less. Can get the spider and lifter guides from GM Performance for $35. Seems like a good deal but good deals make me nervous sometimes.
Speedbump
69-CHVL
Pro
Pro

Post by 69-CHVL »

Personally, I feel the factory setup is best. If you break a push rod, spring, rocker etc the lifter will be retained in its bore minimizing damage.

If I tie bar breaks or some other kinda "slack" develops in the valvetrain...good luck.
VINCE 69 CHEVELLE
502 EFI/6SPD/3.90
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Speedbump wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm Thanks for the info. Have a .602/.587 left over Comp unit I plan to use. Figure about 160 on the seat and 420 over the nose which is some higher than the original had. Comp shows a factory replacement for $200 and I've seen Delphi's for slightly less. Can get the spider and lifter guides from GM Performance for $35. Seems like a good deal but good deals make me nervous sometimes.
It will all depend on how much spring you are going to run.
The Delphi lifters will work just fine up to about 375 open any more then that Johnson NOT hi lift johnson makes a great short travell drop in lifter that will stand higher spring pressures.
I have them now in a 620 stroker in my shop truck and they are quiet running and have had no issues in 2 1/2 years of daily use.
They are more then the Delphi lifters but that will depend on the springs you choose to run.

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Good info on spring pressures. Went to Johnson and didn't find a part for the big block drop in lifter, regular or short travel.
Speedbump
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

I have used the stock style Crowers to around 410-420 on the seat without issue on a few 502's, but that said Crower does not recommend anything over around 375 like was said so I quit using them. This info is not written anywhere but if you call tech that will be their advice. I think Crower just uses a checked over stock unit too. Crane makes good ones, but they are high.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn- ... /Chevrolet

Bret
Pullin' for Christ