BBC performance intake manifolds

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

BBC performance intake manifolds

Post by Erland Cox »

I am helpong a customer build a ZL 1 engine for a historic racing Camaro from 1972.
I have tried the stock high performance 2 plane manifold and it gives good power on the first pull and the looses lots because of heating.
With a splash pan under and closed off heating.
What is the history on more isolated manifolds like the Victor JR and the Holley strip dominator.
When were the first ones made?

Erland
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Re: BBC performance intake manifolds

Post by gnicholson »

I remember the strip dominator coming out in 76. Im pretty sure thats right. Guys used to ice those dual planes between rounds
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Thank you!
This is road racing in FIA H1 from 1971 to 75.
So what I use must have been available 1975.

Erland
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

if you use this type of cold air intake system you will find the inlet air temp will be lower and lower intake manifold temp. my 68 and 69 Z/28 used this system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Erland Cox wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm I am helpong a customer build a ZL 1 engine for a historic racing Camaro from 1972.
I have tried the stock high performance 2 plane manifold and it gives good power on the first pull and the looses lots because of heating.
What is the history on more isolated manifolds like the Victor JR and the Holley strip dominator.

Erland
I have an old Honest Charley catalog from 1972 that I just looked through. The only intake that was not on the dual plane design was the Edelbrock Tarantula that the carb set on the approximate 45* angle. Best I remember it was McFarland's design trying to equalize the good/bad ports.

In a road race application isn't any intake going to heat soak and all will have about the same loss of power? I could see a drag engine being able to cool between rounds and minimize the loss.

If you can't cool the intake could you cool the oil? My experience is the oil runs 15-20 degrees hotter than the engine coolant, at least on street cars. I have never ran road race so I really have no experience to talk about what happen there.

Does your engine have the original ZL1 parts--074 heads, 180 cam, 12:1 compression?
It would be interesting to compare the Tarantula to the Chevy dual plane. The Tarantula didn't run too bad with a 2 inch spacer and the intake ported to straighten the runners at the head entrance, at least when that was all we had. Average power would be pretty close for both intakes.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One of David Vizard's books (I thought it was the Holley one, but no...) details his extensive work to reduce manifold temperature on an SBF. He used spray foam on the underside with an aluminum shield, divorced the water manifold, used heat-rejecting paint, etc. I'll try to find the reference, but AIR, he picked up ~ 20 HP..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The intake manifold will cool right down when run at WOT for about 20-40 seconds.
Due to the big amount of fuel being vapourized at WOT. Jet the carb for this average steady running
not rich jetting for a quick 10 second dyno blast on a cold intake manifold.

Jet it for the state it will be running at. As shown duct cool high pressure fresh air to the sealed air cleaner.

If you jet the carb for best dyno test power on a cold intake manifold it will be jetted wrong for how the car will be running in a road race, and the temp of the running intake manifold.
The vapourizing fuel eats a TON of that heat. And re-cools the intake right down from hot soak in a very short time of WOT and near WOT racing.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I may be all wet, but I thought that Chevy never made a factory high performance BBC single plane intake manifold for two reasons.

1st. the stock engine production numbers wasn't there; and

2nd. the stock, high performance BBC dual plane after the divider was removed performed damned GOOD!

How far off am I??

pdq67

PS., and I would like to know how an L-88 engine would run with a tuned 3x2 intake system on it. A back to back test WITH good 4 tube, long tube, open headers dual plane vs trips.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Erland Cox wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm I am helpong a customer build a ZL 1 engine for a historic racing Camaro from 1972.

Erland
How much were you down after the heat set in?
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

When the first manifolds came out with the air gap feature, back to back testing was showing about 5 to 7 more horsepower-- THATS ALL

JOE SHERMAN RACING
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 pm The intake manifold will cool right down when run at WOT for about 20-40 seconds.
Due to the big amount of fuel being vapourized at WOT. Jet the carb for this average steady running
not rich jetting for a quick 10 second dyno blast on a cold intake manifold.

Jet it for the state it will be running at. As shown duct cool high pressure fresh air to the sealed air cleaner.

If you jet the carb for best dyno test power on a cold intake manifold it will be jetted wrong for how the car will be running in a road race, and the temp of the running intake manifold.
The vapourizing fuel eats a TON of that heat. And re-cools the intake right down from hot soak in a very short time of WOT and near WOT racing.
This is a good point. Latent heat of evaporation effect from the vaporizing fuel .especially alcohol
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think some simple ideas are the best here.

First , to my knowledge there were no air gap intake manifolds made for or used on PERIOD CORRECT BBC engines in 1968-1976.

Second, COOL the fuel, cool fuel cans were used a lot back then in racing. Use dry ice not regular ice and insulate the exterior of the can.

Use cold air intake period correct as shown in an earlier post here.

Use a thermal rejection type carb spacer under the carb to limit fuel warming in the carb. Colder fuel will remove some latent heat from the manifold when racing.

Build a bolt a heat insulator plate to the bottom of the intake manifold. I remember a post and pics here on Speedtalk where one was shown and discussed.

Cool the oil (oil cooler)to hold it at or near 180-200 degrees instead of normal 220-240 degrees seen with racing.

Use a solution like Water Wetter or same and try with a good sized radiator, higher performance aluminum water pump, a 160 degree thermostat and a good fan system to keep the engine water temp under race loads as close to 180-190 degrees as possible.

Things like these should help net 2-3% more power from a PERIOD CORRECT ZL1 engine that really made about 600HP in stock GM trimand thats about 12-18HP! We all know its small gains like this that win races and here thats one of the objects! Go win races!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Edelbrock Scorpion and weiand X-celerator were out before 1975. Both single plane, neither is really an air gap, but you could make it air gap by cutting away some of the base and making a valley tray.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

For what it's worth: in conjunction with a lifter valley tray, an aluminum shield on top the lifter valley tray had a considerable difference in intake manifold temp (cast iron intake).
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Here is another BBC engine with stock 2 plane intake.
The 2 lower power curves are with and without the first exhaust system.
The brown curve is with 4-2-1 Burns designed headers and bigger sidepipes.

This engine loses more than 20 hp from the first to the second pull.
Manifold gets so hot that you can´t touch it.
Most tracks here are about 1,5 miles long and do not have very long straights so WOT will be less than 10 seconds.

This Corvette has a 427 engine based on a 396. Not bored fully to 427 but longer stroke than 3,75.
I do not know if it is allowed but it has the legal displacement but I did not want to make the block unecessary thin.

Erland