Sleeving a sleeve?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tenxal
Expert
Expert
Sleeving a sleeve?

Post by tenxal »

Anyone here had experience with putting a sleeve inside an existing sleeve for a smaller bore size?

Block is a good BBC Bowtie that has eight good Darton sleeves in it now. Reducing the bore size w/o boring out the existing sleeves is one option being considered.

Thanks! :)
blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Sleeving a sleeve?

Post by blykins »

I haven't done it personally, but a buddy of mine's Super Stock 318 has sleeves within sleeves....
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Kind of curious what the intended use will be?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

yeah I've done that, but probably not the way you are thinking.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the sleeve in it?
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

IDK whether this will actually affect operation, but any discontinuity or interruption is a thermal gradient: heat will not flow through the joint as efficiently as it did through the continuous cylinder wall.
Sleeve a sleeve means you have 2 of them instead of none.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

modok wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm yeah I've done that, but probably not the way you are thinking. Do you happen to know the dimensions of the sleeve in it?
Existing sleeves are 4.500 o.d., bore size 4.312, likely Darton pn# RS4.250. Looking at Darton pn# RS4.125 (4.375 o.d., 4.119 bore).
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

SupStk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pmKind of curious what the intended use will be?
Drag race, non boosted, around 680-7oo h.p.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I see. yeah I that could work. I'd want to bore a little past the existing sleeve so the lower step is on parent material, if there is any. Get a quote from melling to make 3/16 wall sleeves to fit. The labor will cost SO much more than the sleeves anyway, it may not be much more to do it right, but would it work to sleeve a sleeve? probably IMO
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Stocker? Maybe a flanged sleeve might be a better idea, that way you wouldn't need to worry about a step at the bottom.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 pmMaybe a flanged sleeve might be a better idea, that way you wouldn't need to worry about a step at the bottom.
We've pondered that, as well. With a thin walled sleeve-in-a-sleeve deal, vibration and possible ring seal loss at higher rpms is one of our concerns.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

The 120 wall sleeve IN a 060 wall sleeve is prefereable to the other way I'd say. The outer sleeve is just then a spacer, being smooshed between.
It does not make sense to me to have a flanged sleeve sitting on another sleeve that is stepped in at the bottom. Your just doubling the flex? And how does the head gasket figure into all that?
the "sleeve in a sleeve' that I was thinking of at first was just maybe .300 deep, a very heavy wall, so your head gasket sits on that and you have a 060-090 wall sleeve in that. This lets you fix the deck surface but use a thinwall sleeve. Like a flanged sleeve but two pieces. HD engines with wet sleeves many of them you end up putting in repair inserts a lot like that.
I can't seem to remember what situations that fixes, but this might be one of them.

I did that to a hit and miss, old fords that used the thinwall sleeves, and.....some kind of crack repair, and....ah, other flange sleeve to stepped sleeve conversions. All these engines that have pre-finished slip fit liners.....stupid idea. I fix :P You only think of flathead fords but these perkins and chinese diesels, STILL doing that!!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I imagine it would work. Just my opinon, but I'd remove the existing sleeve and do it with one.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Maybe Darton has a suggestion?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Darton or LA
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Advanced sleeve in Mentor Ohio, is much better than darton or LA, in my experience.