Oil pressure...preferred location?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

stealth
Guru
Guru
Oil pressure...preferred location?

Post by stealth »

Looking for opinions as to where the best place to read oil pressure from.

I see most guys tap into stock location...others at remote filter..

Some like to read at front of engine... as it samples pressure after all the main bearings.

Your thoughts?
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil pressure...preferred location?

Post by af2 »

stealth wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 pm Looking for opinions as to where the best place to read oil pressure from.

I see most guys tap into stock location...others at remote filter..

Some like to read at front of engine... as it samples pressure after all the main bearings.

Your thoughts?
No pressure above the pump = blown .... No pressure in the front = blown. That is my thought.
Pressure = a loss either way. How much is the same if the pressure dropped in front or behind.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the larger the inside diameter of the line is what allows quicker response to pressure change
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

My feeling is it don't make much difference. At the end of the galley compared to the beginning is only reading the resistance to flow?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

At the last bearing will tell you if the bearings are going away - a read from the pump won't do that.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

On my last two engines i used (2) mechanical A/Meter fed with # 4 line on each end of the engine for oil pressure readings. FEI (E) for everybody's the pressure at the front was 3-5 lbs. less. The #4 line gives a very responsive reading. Mark H.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Re response: be sure to bleed the line. As with brakes; fluid is much less compressible than gas.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yep Bill i always did that, and will in the future. Everything i have ever owned has had a MECHANICAL O.P. gauge. The Ford P.U.T. i am driving now has a 4.2 V-6. When i decided to put a Mech. O.P. gauge in it i went to buy AN fittings for -4 hose, he did not have fittings for #4 but did for #6 so i ended up putting # 6 hose in the deal. When the oil is up to temp the gauge bounces between 35 and 45 psi with each pulse from the oil pump gears. Now that is sensitive. Mark H. BTW that bouncing is at idle, it runs about 70 at highway speed.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Swampbuggy, I agree with Supstk- it probably doesn't much matter. Except if you change from stock, when comparing notes with everyone else when you have trouble, you really can't compare unless maybe the block has priority oiling.

And good idea on a direct connection mechanical gauge: virtually all are +- 2% accuracy. Cannot say the same for electric gauges.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If where talking trying to look at a gauge under race conditions , good luck as damage is being done by the time things go south with the gauge readings!
In race conditions your far better off installing a Stuart Waner adjustable Hobbs switch that you can set to cut out the spark at 35 to 40 psi.
And yes you need a over ride switch to fire the motor over so your dealing with 4 new wires!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Or run it through an rpm switch.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 am If where talking trying to look at a gauge under race conditions , good luck as damage is being done by the time things go south with the gauge readings!
In race conditions your far better off installing a Stuart Waner adjustable Hobbs switch that you can set to cut out the spark at 35 to 40 psi.
And yes you need a over ride switch to fire the motor over so your dealing with 4 new wires!
on circle track engines i used a hobbs switch and a big amber light that the driver can not miss. cutting out the engine is a good way to cause a big wreck. with a light you know if the baffled pan is doing its job in the turns.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

pamotorman wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm
mag2555 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 am If where talking trying to look at a gauge under race conditions , good luck as damage is being done by the time things go south with the gauge readings!
on circle track engines i used a hobbs switch and a big amber light that the driver can not miss. cutting out the engine is a good way to cause a big wreck. with a light you know if the baffled pan is doing its job in the turns.
Good idea but then you need a driver with more smarts than an ice cube. Built a roundy round engine that came back burned to the ground. Guy that worked for me said the amber light could be seen in the stands, the driver went four laps before engine gave up.
Something punched a hole in pan.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One of the benefits of in-car video set up to show the gauges and the forward view. After the first session with same, we made some changes to the dry sump system in our road racer. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

An electronic oil pressure sensor is much more sensitive than a mechanical gauge.
If oil pressure is fed into a data logger and plotted against engine rpm, we can see the shape of the pressure curve and compare it to peak torque rpm.

If high load is applied before oil pressure is adequate we have levied a death sentence on the bearings.

At what rpm point does aeration occur?