Lint-free wipes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

Lint-free wipes

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What products do you experienced guys recommend for lint-free wipes to be used during engine assembly?

Basic/old school cloth shop towels and blue paper shop towels from retail stores both leave lint.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Lint-free wipes

Post by pamotorman »

i got mine from place that sell clean room wipes. google lint free cloths
Reef

Post by Reef »

Coffee filters work well.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

I saw on another forum about using old bed sheets. I tried it and they work good. Nice thing they
Are cheep, you can make them any size you want and we had plenty of old sheets.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I use Scott's Pro shop towels, I get them at o-reily. They are right next to the blue shop towels. They have a golf ball pattern on them, and, as far as I am concerned, they can discontinue the regular ones, there is no point in buying them, the other ones work so good. They don't shred apart like the regular ones. They are an extra buck a roll, well worth it. Try them, you will never use the other ones again.
k-star
Guru
Guru

Post by k-star »

Another vote for coffee filters, they work excellent, zero lint. Get the white ones so you can see when parts like rings and bearing are clean.
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

Kimberly-clark WypAll brand.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Kimberly Clarke makes Kim Wipes for smaller stuff, and Kim Towels for larger stuff. It looks like Kimtowels are now sold under that WypAll name.

Neither are truly lint free, but we use them for optics on scientific instrumentation and they work well.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

k-star wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:28 pm Another vote for coffee filters, they work excellent, zero lint. Get the white ones so you can see when parts like rings and bearing are clean.
I think you gave me that tip when you machined my block. I used coffee filters on all my bearings, etc for final assembly. :D Would have never thought of it....
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:52 pm What products do you experienced guys recommend for lint-free wipes to be used during engine assembly?

Basic/old school cloth shop towels and blue paper shop towels from retail stores both leave lint.
We have used these from MSC, also if while you are on their site just enter lint free in the search box. You will find lots of offerings from cheese cloth to surgical towels.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/33847070
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Will, "Tyvek", work?

pdq67