General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge 2018

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Just curious Walter, honest question, has your business grew in leaps and bounds from being involved in the emc?
Honest answer ... YES, the business got better.
It didn't need to grow any because I was already turning down jobs. It's all a one man operation but, the credibility did draw more customers who paid the extra dollar to get a better product.
Then I semi-retired and for the past 3 years I can now pick and choose my customers and what work I will do
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

The corrections/clarifications to the rules has been posted. Any change since the original release of the rules are in red.
I want to thank those who called/emailed and asked for something to be looked at or clarified.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I'm just an internet spectator, but I like what I'm hearing about the rules. I'll buy any magazines that I can find.

paulie
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Just curious Walter, honest question, has your business grew in leaps and bounds from being involved in the emc?
Honest answer ... YES, the business got better.
It didn't need to grow any because I was already turning down jobs. It's all a one man operation but, the credibility did draw more customers who paid the extra dollar to get a better product.
Then I semi-retired and for the past 3 years I can now pick and choose my customers and what work I will do

Thanks for the answer. That's good to hear, glad it was worth while for you. Always nice to be able to pick and choose. I would imagine its easier to also get paid for the time you have in it.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I have heard others say that EMC made their business. IIRC, Survival Motorsports is one of them.

I'm not interested in "copying a combination" for profit. I may learn about how some parts work well together, think about an engine platform that I never consider, or gain knowledge about a product. The CHI heads performance in EMC is one example.

To copy a combo and get the results would assume that the reader has the same level of talent and resources to duplicate it. That is unlikely.

Following EMC is similar to watching pro sports. It may mean something different to the competitors than the fans. The fan isn't able to play at the pro level, but they sure can appreciate the skill. Without the fans viewership and support, there is no league and no pay for the pros.

I'll look forward to reading coverage in my subscription to Engine Builder Magazine.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm Ya, your way out in left field.

How do you figure keeping everything hush hush is good? If a builder is paranoid or Leary about dissecting his build , then I would say he is not confident enough to be in the business to start with...every builder should be always learning and trying to build more power.

This contest looks like it's getting back to challenging the builders skills and imagination..and that's a good thing
Sounds like you are wanting someone else's hard work handed to you, then keep the supply coming in the future. There are lots of subtle aspects in a build that most wouldn't notice by looking at them. Don't think I care to walk someone though a high effort engine build via magazine article.

Now if a person was in the business of selling parts, magazine articles or books it might be a different deal.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

SupStk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:28 pm
gmrocket wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm Ya, your way out in left field.

How do you figure keeping everything hush hush is good? If a builder is paranoid or Leary about dissecting his build , then I would say he is not confident enough to be in the business to start with...every builder should be always learning and trying to build more power.

This contest looks like it's getting back to challenging the builders skills and imagination..and that's a good thing
Sounds like you are wanting someone else's hard work handed to you, then keep the supply coming in the future. There are lots of subtle aspects in a build that most wouldn't notice by looking at them. Don't think I care to walk someone though a high effort engine build via magazine article.

Now if a person was in the business of selling parts, magazine articles or books it might be a different deal.
your farther out in left field than you realize.

I've built 3 EMC engines, one received a full 6 page spread and tear down for all to see... I was more than willing to answer any questions & I did. None of my builds were based on anything remotely found in any EMC event... factory crank, factory iron heads. It was a one person deal

I was an independent, I did it as a hobby when I entered...but now I do it full time and retired from a very good paying job at 56. All because of the exposure I recieved .
jpr5421

Post by jpr5421 »

Dale,

Yeah Monty is out in left field; ya can't get much further out than Box Elder South Dakota. But he's a pretty shrewd dude and did a bunch of stuff on some Fords that he wouldn't have wanted everyone to see. Just building power is one thing, but making better power than you're competitors in a Class limited engine is another story. One might want to keep that covered up.

They're really are no secrets I guess, but a certain combination of givens may be better than some others in a Class case, so why give it up. Only the tech guys get to see our 307.

Race Engine Challenge photos made by the builders? You were maybe honest with all your stuff, but do you think everyone is, or will be? Or might there be some misleading info tagging along?

Jerry
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Your right Jerry,,I understand if your class racing or something similar...that makes total sense&i would be just the same doing that deal.

You can have all the detailed pics you want ant still might miss half what's staring you in the face. I was asked quite a few questions and answered them honestly...what they didn't ask was probably more important,, that really can't be seen in the pics. Valve angles, seat angles and transitions, long wall and short wall differences, active areas , ex port to header transition and many other things...they didn't ask, so I didn't tell 😜

In 2011 I had a total brain fart with carb...it was down 19ft lbs and 35hp at the event compared to home testing, which ended up being 8th place. Take the carb fart out of the equation and it was a 2nd ....only 60 points seperated 2nd place and 8th, that's how tight it was in 2011
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

I don't think it is about telling any secrets at all.
In my opinion, it is about exhibiting capabilities and what you can do "with the cards you're dealt".

Sort of, stepping out of your comfort zone and showing your brain-power but, it is probably different for everyone.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm I don't think it is about telling any secrets at all.
In my opinion, it is about exhibiting capabilities and what you can do "with the cards you're dealt".

Sort of, stepping out of your comfort zone and showing your brain-power but, it is probably different for everyone.
Yep
jpr5421

Post by jpr5421 »

Walter & Dale,

That's the nice thing about Class Racing (in our case SS/NA), you don't have to show them your stuff; the performance of the car exhibits what we can do with limited rules. It's nice that Dale sorta built a business out of his EMC deal, and Walter, you're layin' back and picking the ones you want to do. I'm kinda like Walter. I pick a few engines to do and that's it. I'm not trying to sell my capabilities (we didn't even race the car last year); at 73 I'm trying to quit. But I'd still like to keep the 307 stuff under wraps because there's some things in there that many have said won't work; ie., 5/64 Dykes rings. Okay then! As with most fast cars, it's the combination, not just the engine.

Jerry
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

jpr5421 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:36 pm Walter & Dale,

That's the nice thing about Class Racing (in our case SS/NA), you don't have to show them your stuff; the performance of the car exhibits what we can do with limited rules. It's nice that Dale sorta built a business out of his EMC deal, and Walter, you're layin' back and picking the ones you want to do. I'm kinda like Walter. I pick a few engines to do and that's it. I'm not trying to sell my capabilities (we didn't even race the car last year); at 73 I'm trying to quit. But I'd still like to keep the 307 stuff under wraps because there's some things in there that many have said won't work; ie., 5/64 Dykes rings. Okay then! As with most fast cars, it's the combination, not just the engine.

Jerry
I certainly would not say "laying back" after 16 EMC's in a row.
Especially with 2 engines in many of them and even 3 in the last one.
jpr5421

Post by jpr5421 »

Sorry Walter,

I meant "layin' back" as in not out to get a whole bunch of new work. Good Luck on your EMC project if you're doing one.

Jerry
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

jpr5421 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:08 pm Sorry Walter,

I meant "layin' back" as in not out to get a whole bunch of new work. Good Luck on your EMC project if you're doing one.

Jerry
Now I get ya.