Hydraulic rollers sbc

Post by rocketracer380 »

What type of rpms have u seen can they go 6800/7000 reliably
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Hydraulic rollers sbc

Post by Walter R. Malik »

rocketracer380 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm What type of rpms have u seen can they go 6800/7000 reliably
That totally depends upon which one's are used.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

rocketracer380 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm What type of rpms have u seen can they go 6800/7000 reliably
7500 RPM with stainless valves, every run.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Comp .600" with Johnson Hy lift lifters
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

cstraub wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 am 7000 rpm not a problem for a Morel lifter.

Hello Chris
Just spent some time on a phone with a Morel dealer. I have had 4 sets of Morel lifters that had at least one that would bleed down excessively after we shut engine off. Found 2 lifters that stuck as we were adjusting on the dyno. No problem in that Morel replaced all of them but Im stuck with the time and gaskets to pull the intake and change the oil. The dealer said he has seen this problem more lately. Have you seen this at all. I have 4 sets here now waiting to RMA to return. And I have found I am not the only one to experience this.
reed
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

cstraub wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm
racear2865 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 pm
cstraub wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 am 7000 rpm not a problem for a Morel lifter.

Hello Chris
Just spent some time on a phone with a Morel dealer. I have had 4 sets of Morel lifters that had at least one that would bleed down excessively after we shut engine off. Found 2 lifters that stuck as we were adjusting on the dyno. No problem in that Morel replaced all of them but Im stuck with the time and gaskets to pull the intake and change the oil. The dealer said he has seen this problem more lately. Have you seen this at all. I have 4 sets here now waiting to RMA to return. And I have found I am not the only one to experience this.
reed
What block Reed? The oiling circuit on some Dart block designs does not work well with the hyd roller. Scott has come up with a fix for this. We hope to have the video of the the modification by new year.

Also what oil? Lake Speed Jr has been very good to share Driven's Centistoke numbers with us. Morel has reviewed the centistoke number on the Driven Hot Rod and the Driven FR50. Both of them work very well with the lifters.

Pre-load. Morel's travel is .140". Depending on block and head material, you want between .040" -.060" of preload on the lifter.

Lifter bore to lifter clearance. GM's tolerance is .0015 to .0018" This clearance is how the lifter is fed. Out of spec and you can have some trouble sir.

Early this year when I had a phone call from an engine builder that was told by one of Morel dealers they were having trouble, I called Morel. Morel ran some numbers on hyd roller lifters returned for inspection from May 2016 to May 2017. The return rate from was 0.003%
Yes I was aware of problems on the Darts but all these are on OEM blocks and all we use is Joe Gibbs 40 weights to fire up. Most all these lifters actually collapses to .06 or better and hang there. They do it while we are adjusting valves before even fire up and weve had 2 to start and peck within 15 minutes of running. Since they have the cross bar, we cant disassemble. Im sure I could correct , but that isnt the problem. Why do they hand down to begin with. .
reed
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

racear2865 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:36 pm
cstraub wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm
racear2865 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello Chris
reed
What block Reed? The oiling circuit on some Dart block designs does not work well with the hyd roller. Scott has come up with a fix for this. We hope to have the video of the the modification by new year.

Also what oil? Lake Speed Jr has been very good to share Driven's Centistoke numbers with us. Morel has reviewed the centistoke number on the Driven Hot Rod and the Driven FR50. Both of them work very well with the lifters.

Pre-load. Morel's travel is .140". Depending on block and head material, you want between .040" -.060" of preload on the lifter.

Lifter bore to lifter clearance. GM's tolerance is .0015 to .0018" This clearance is how the lifter is fed. Out of spec and you can have some trouble sir.

Early this year when I had a phone call from an engine builder that was told by one of Morel dealers they were having trouble, I called Morel. Morel ran some numbers on hyd roller lifters returned for inspection from May 2016 to May 2017. The return rate from was 0.003%
Yes I was aware of problems on the Darts but all these are on OEM blocks and all we use is Joe Gibbs 40 weights to fire up. Most all these lifters actually collapses to .06 or better and hang there. They do it while we are adjusting valves before even fire up and weve had 2 to start and peck within 15 minutes of running. Since they have the cross bar, we cant disassemble. Im sure I could correct , but that isnt the problem. Why do they hand down to begin with. .
reed
Earlier this year I had one that was collapsing in a set from Erson/PBM. Just one in the set that was in a production GM Chevy 350 block. They sent me a new pair and all was well. This was the SL series normal travel tie bar version.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you want the higher rpm capability and power just save yourself a lot of time and money and bother
and get a solid roller cam with solid roller lifters.
If it a street motor or not a serious money making competition race car motor
consider a solid street roller cam and lifter set. Out performs hyd rollers.
Lower cost, more rpm and power where it counts. Less fuss in the end.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm If you want the higher rpm capability and power just save yourself a lot of time and money and bother
SO your thoughts are to install solids in every engine even thought the customer doesnt know one damn thing about adjusting valves. I totally disagree to go to solids is the best fix. .
reed
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

racear2865 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:52 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm If you want the higher rpm capability and power just save yourself a lot of time and money and bother
SO your thoughts are to install solids in every engine even thought the customer doesnt know one damn thing about adjusting valves. I totally disagree to go to solids is the best fix. .
reed
Adjusting valves is pretty simple. If the guy can't do that, he needs to go golf or something.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

LOL-----pretty good statsystems.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You can spend thousands of dollars trying to make a hyd roller lifter do what a solid roller will or spend a 1/2 hour teaching a customer (or learning yourself) how to set valve lash.
Its your money.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

With mild to moderate spring pressures and valve lifts of .550" and less the GM Performance lifters -part #12499225 will work well in occasional 6500-7000rpm uses. Used and seen them used many times in many small blocks successfully with great long term reliability with occasional racing and performance usage. I have also seen many aftermarket hydraulic roller lifters from several brands have lots of issues over the years and there is even some junk offshore stuff floating around. If it's for all the time racing, higher spring pressures and bigger cam profiles I would put my money in the latest Morel offerings. If you are racing at those rpms a lot with an engine and the lifts are over about .625" then solid roller lifters are just about a must! Hydraulics have limits, don't let anyone convince you they don't! JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

rocketracer380 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm Comp .600" with Johnson Hy lift lifters
Which specific Comp cam is it and what is the rest of the valvetrain? Specificly...

Not all cams have the same high rpm dynamic stability.
The details (your details) matter.

What is the issue with yours?
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Setting valves not a problem it's a budget build an I have a complete hr set up I also have a solid roller set up a bit too big for vortec heads