Hydraulic rollers sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Hydraulic rollers sbc

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Vortec Pro you are not doing this with 130 seat-350 open lbs valve springs.
This is being deceiving and no help to the OP and what he is trying to work with.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 pm Vortec Pro you are not doing this with 130 seat-350 open lbs valve springs.
This is being deceiving and no help to the OP and what he is trying to work with.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Seat pressure was 240. .748/262 @.050 can't remember the lobe separation.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This is in the ballpark of the seat spring pressure I am suggesting the OP try on his Magnum HR cam.
I suggest if his SBC HR lifters cannot handle that spring load swap in solid roller lifters.
Much lower cost, better results. I doubt his HR lifters will run at 240# seat.
They may take maybe 175#. Testing is needed.
#175 -- 400-420# may get it done on his.

Did you ever cross test compare using solid roller lifters on yours?
Or test run to run repeatabilty. ( air in oil effecting the lifters)
This really plays havoc on a circle track car or a Boat motor.

I believe the OP is building for a circle track car on a budget.

I guess if all the OP wanted is to hear what he wants to hear, its all good.
But if he actually wants it to run fast it will take a bit more than wishes with the cam, springs and lifters he likely has there.
Thats why I asked what cam was he using.

Just to put it in perspective with 240# seat and .700+" lift what is the open spring loads?

OP do you have a spare $900 (US) to drop on NEW "Hi-RPM" HR lifters to accommodate that level of valve spring?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Can't remember the open, but it was a valve spring killer. Didn't try a solid lifter customer didn't want it. The thing needed titanium valves. I didn't read the whole thread, guess I should have wasn't trying to mislead.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:37 pm good luck in your chase.
See now you're just being argumentative to support your position. I never posted the cam specs, or the rest of the setup for that matter, so your own assumptions are misleading you.

Good luck to you too. :wink:
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 pm I doubt his HR lifters will run at 240# seat.

OP do you have a spare $900 (US) to drop on NEW "Hi-RPM" HR lifters to accommodate that level of valve spring?
you doubt or just don't know? because good HR lifters will take over 200# seat and 600#open.
$900 will buy 2 sets of good lifter, so its more like $400-500 a set.
sounds like you need to get your facts straight before posting misleading info,
which isn't doing anyone any good, the OP or anyone reading this.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I got the hi-rpm lifter price right from Shraubs site.
$890 ish US.

the poster is much better off using his solid roller kit
and getting a new solid roller cam that matches his j job.

About $350 Vs over $1000 for all the majic stuff to make a hyd roller work..

He can buy a whole cpmp cams solid street roller cam+ kit
that will spank that or any hyd roller for less than $1000 all in
including getting comp to custom grind the cam if desired..
The off the shelf cam will spank and hyd roller effort in this
application..

common sense
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm He can buy a whole cpmp cams solid street roller cam+ kit
that will spank that or any hyd roller for less than $1000 all in
including getting comp to custom grind the cam if desired..
The off the shelf cam will spank and hyd roller effort in this
application..
stupid is as stupid does
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Sometimes I don't know why I jump into threads like this, but here it goes.

I have a cam and lifters that I got through Chris Straub. The lifters did not cost that much, but then again I called and talked to him in person. He ground me a cam to my application (basic SBC) and it has been great. I originally used the springs that came with the heads as they were rated as HR springs. I should have bought springs from Chris when I did the engine as it would lay over at 6800. After a spring swap it now runs happily to 7200 which is as high as I want to spin it.

As a side note, this engine makes more power than the previous engine which was just like this one, but with Chris's cam and lifters and the other was a solid roller that I spec'd. Point being that a similar solid roller did not beat out the HR. They have their place, and being that I was putting this in a ski/fun boat I did not want to check valves.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

67RS502 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 pm I doubt his HR lifters will run at 240# seat.

sounds like you need to get your facts straight before posting misleading info,
which isn't doing anyone any good, the OP or anyone reading this.
I agree.

I've got hyd roller that runs to 7400 rpm ( end of 1/4 mile ain't tried higher ) .600 lift Comp Cams magnum lobes, steel 11/32 valves steel retainers, Isky 8005 a springs.

Hyd rollers do go over 7000 rpm even if Fbird ain't seen it.

Randy
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

So the best matched lobes for the engine "spanked" the lesser lobes, and cam/lifter type was inconsequential?
That kind of talk just confuses us with facts and logic.

That makes about as much sense as saying:
Sticking solid lifters on the same cam will make less power because the lash will lessen lobe area/duration seen at the valve.

My above comments are exposing someones dias.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Randy, now try going right back to the starting line and make another drag pass imediately after the first pass.

Note the effect. Repeatability. Or lack iof depending on hiw you see it.
A oval race is many more 10 second blasts.

The poor $$$$ economics of trying to make a hyd roller do the job of a solid rollee system does nit pay off.

Save your money .. go for the solid roller setup in the first place. You start out ok but the bad effect of air getting in the oil and effecting a hyd lifter, under racing conditions get progressivily worse.

A 1/8 th or a 1/4 mile blast is a very short trip/race..

It can take as ling as a few houra or even overnight for the
airated motor oil to recover.

In a oval race a few few laps in and your down on power
The competition that has solid roller lifters is still running hard lap after lap. Your situation gets worse nit better.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

The more I read these posts about the OP's original question the more confused and annoyed I get!

First I don't see anywhere were the OP said he was building this budget engine for a circle track car. If he has personally shared that information with someone here I wish they or the OP would post that accordingly or describe that in their posts that they had a personal PM with someone here? I hate to try to help with an honest question or give advise on an issue if there is a non-visible or behind the posts communication or information sharing going on that is not known by all here on this type of post. If F-BIRD'88 knows all about this guys budget build circle track engine I would sure like to know this type of info before I and others here try to contribute and discuss! I cannot find anywhere in these threads were the OP described his engine as being for a circle track racing use, so how did we get there? Either the Op needs to give more detailed input and information of others here need to stop over killing simple questions like the original question without such unnecessary expansion. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm The more I read these posts about the OP's original question the more confused and annoyed I get!

First I don't see anywhere were the OP said he was building this budget engine for a circle track car. If he has personally shared that information with someone here I wish they or the OP would post that accordingly or describe that in their posts that they had a personal PM with someone here? I hate to try to help with an honest question or give advise on an issue if there is a non-visible or behind the posts communication or information sharing going on that is not known by all here on this type of post. If F-BIRD'88 knows all about this guys budget build circle track engine I would sure like to know this type of info before I and others here try to contribute and discuss! I cannot find anywhere in these threads were the OP described his engine as being for a circle track racing use, so how did we get there? Either the Op needs to give more detailed input and information of others here need to stop over killing simple questions like the original question without such unnecessary expansion. JMO
some people just like to hijack threads and start telling other how to do things, and impressing everyone with how much they really dont know.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The only ones hijacking here is the whiner guy and self appointed
forum police nazi. No PM's search the OP's posts.

You ask a few question and look a bit and get to the
real route of what is being asked and why.