Hydraulic rollers sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Re: Hydraulic rollers sbc

Post by kimosabi »

Me thinks F'Bird would be better suited if he had more experience with hydraulic rollers of today. This have just turned into an argumentative forum show now.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Has anyone noticed that the OP dove for cover a week ago? #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Though I don't always agree with F'bird, do research the effects of air entrained in engine oil in endurance and marine engines, and loss of net valve actuation with hydraulic lifters.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

There is no magic. When air is whipped into the oil by the crankshaft there is potential for a hydraulic lifter to collapse. Sure, a limited travel hyd works. Why? Yep, eliminating the potential travel.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

MadBill wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 pm Has anyone noticed that the OP dove for cover a week ago? #-o
yup. he was smart, got his question answered and got out before people started telling him crap he didnt ask.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

I can go machine spacers to limit the hyd lifter travel to nil. No potential for oil aereation to limit rpm. Why didn't i just grab some solid rollers?
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

JodyB wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm I can go machine spacers to limit the hyd lifter travel to nil. No potential for oil aereation to limit rpm. Why didn't i just grab some solid rollers?
Why don’t you fix your oil aeration issues?? Aerated oil doesn’t lubricate that well either...
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Spend thousands on partial solutions to a $50 problem.
Now this #1000-$1500 budget dirt motor needs $426 "good" to $890 "hi-rpm" lifters
$280++ valve springs and a $$$$$ dry sump oil system..

Pentagon budget thinking. $$$$$¢$$$$$$$$¢$

Anything else?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

knowledge, expertise and practical experience, (or lack of it) preference and opinion.

It's all here on this thread. Unfortunately, some think their opinion, their way, is the only way. And somehow if you keep pounding on the keyboard you'll prove that.

For me, I use hydraulic roller cams/lifters all the time with much success. Only the more extreme builds will get solid rollers. What I don't do anymore is flat tappets unless required by rules or a customer demands them. In that case there is no wty whatsoever in regards to cam/lifter failure and resulting damage.

But this is my preference, it doesn't have to be right for everyone.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Yep, if its not my way I still think about staying off the "Highway" ! I am not good enough to believe I must convince everyone that it should be "MY Way"! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Thank you Mr. Keith M. for a little sanity and civility. This site gets a little "excited" at times over simply opinions.😳
gottago

Post by gottago »

Not wanting to reignite anything but did have a question in regard the tradeoffs spoken of. I have a perfectly good 400 sbc laying around 10:1 flattops. Unfortunately it has been used a couple times in various configurations over the years. Bores are fine but at the limit. Last time run, lifter bores were worn considerably and hydraulic lifters may not be operating properly. When heated up ... quite noticeable power drop off. Would it be appropriate to switch to a solid under these conditions? It will be the last she runs anyway and don't care if she blows. LS is calling..
gottago

Post by gottago »

Will hydraulic rollers collapse and give up a noticeable amount of lift in a worn lifter bore? If worn enough to do that, would a solid roller have a better chance of surviving under the same conditions? Same cam specs.. etc..