Horsepower or torque, Intake to exhaust flow ratio relevance, Flow specced cams, Are AFR heads the best!!?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Horsepower or torque, Intake to exhaust flow ratio relevance, Flow specced cams, Are AFR heads the best!!?

Post by CGT »

Just kidding. :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Horsepower or torque, Intake to exhaust flow ratio relevance, Flow specced cams, Are AFR heads the best!!?

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm Just kidding. :lol:
Have you ever tested a similar sized AFR head to what you currently find useful?

One guy I know debunks the ratio theory for the fact that it changes through out valve lift.

If a cam can be specked based on flow #'s is it worth exploring.

I have a garytheory! 8)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Horsepower or torque, Intake to exhaust flow ratio relevance, Flow specced cams, Are AFR heads the best!!?

Post by Frankshaft »

I spec my cams by opening the cataloug, and going right to the bottom of the page. That's where the biggest cam usually is. I find, that they usually aren't big enough. Or, I pick 5 or 6 that I think are in the ballpark, then I say, " inny minny minny moe, touch a tiger by the toe, if he hollars, make him pay, $50 dollars every day, and you are it. Works everytime.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

that stuff only works with 3/4 race cams!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

lefty o wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 pm that stuff only works with 3/4 race cams!
Can you run those without DBL Hump heads?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Always pick the “full” race cam.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

rp930 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm Always pick the “full” race cam.
Then you need Porting and Polishing plush you would have to upgrade to the Z28 spring it can get real expensive. :)
Please Note!
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

GARY C wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 pm
Then you need Porting and Polishing plush you would have to upgrade to the Z28 spring it can get real expensive. :)
Don’t forget 7 more hp with “angle” plug heads.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

rp930 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm
GARY C wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 pm
Don’t forget 7 more hp with “angle” plug heads.
True dat and I forgot to budget in a set of Rhoads variable duration lifters so now I have to sell one of my bird dogs.
Please Note!
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

You'll need that 600 holley jetted to a 750 :)
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

JodyB wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 pm You'll need that 600 holley jetted to a 750 :)
I prefer an 850 down jetted to a 750. You also need pop up pistons.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Definitely need mechanical secondaries with 4000lbs, a 2.73 gear, and a 1200 stall converter.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

And an ELDERbrock intake.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I always hated 3/4 racing !! #-o
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

So much to do, so little time...