Combustion chamber texturing-2 stroke engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

powerhouse

Combustion chamber texturing-2 stroke engine

Post by powerhouse »

Has anyone done this ? If so what results were seen ? I've been doing research lately on 2 stroke chamber designs and haven't been able to find any information on this. Thx
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Combustion chamber texturing-2 stroke engine

Post by Frankshaft »

Rk Tek does some sort of chatter finish. Picture a super chattered valve seat, but in a 2 stroke chamber. His stuff seems to run good.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

My dad and I built some cr125’s years back that were competitive at the international level in pro shifterkart racing. We used bathtub style combustion chambers and polished them to a mirror finish to prevent hot spots that can cause detonation. Look at the combustion chambers in Yamaha TZ250 engines for some guidance.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GRTfast wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 pm My dad and I built some cr125’s years back that were competitive at the international level in pro shifterkart racing. We used bathtub style combustion chambers and polished them to a mirror finish to prevent hot spots that can cause detonation. Look at the combustion chambers in Yamaha TZ250 engines for some guidance.
Yep the chamber is not where you want disruption. That is the job of the intake and side ports. Polished chamber and piston work!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Texturing a surface would only increase the surface area and so probably increase the transfer of heat to the metal surface, something you don't want. What the texturing does to the boundary layer of gas right next to the surface complicates things though. It may depend on the coarseness of the texture.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Circlotron wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 pm Texturing a surface would only increase the surface area and so probably increase the transfer of heat to the metal surface, something you don't want. What the texturing does to the boundary layer of gas right next to the surface complicates things though. It may depend on the coarseness of the texture.
I also meant to say that is not where you want it.

Work on the Exhaust. The motor will love it.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

when i used to run snowmobiles on quarter mile on ice.i had the pistons and heads coated by swain my pipes too.after that never burned another one down my egts were more stable 150 plus was like being strapped to a rocket.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I've had good luck leaving a chipped Burr finish on the 4 stroke stuff I've done, both auto and motorcycle, but have never seen or attempted it on a 2 stroke. I have a few ktm 300 heads I need to cut to set up the squish and thought this might be a worthwhile modification. The engines run in mostly the 1/8 to 3/4 throttle range ( tight trails ,technical stuff) hardly ever wot, and I figured this may help with combustion and fuel mileage. Since heads can be bought for so cheap and are easy to swap I may give it a shot and see what happens.
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884