MERGE COLLECTOR ??? BUILDING HEADERS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
MERGE COLLECTOR ??? BUILDING HEADERS

Post by garym »

So for my winter project (along with my other projects) I plan to build another set of headers for my top sportsman car.I read on a few forums that in order for merge collectors to work the primary tubes have to be placed in the merge collector so that each adjoining cylinder exhausts/fires in a circular pattern.On my big block chevy there does not seem to be a problem on 1357 but on the right bank cylinders 2468 will take a lot of work/figuring.The header kit that I bought is the Dynatech kit and like the other set of headers that I built I used this same header kit, but with conventional collectors.Any input/advice on merge collectors would be helpful. This is a GREAT FORUM and I enjoy reading the different threads,etc. THANKS garym
ptuomov
Guru
Guru
Re: MERGE COLLECTOR ??? BUILDING HEADERS

Post by ptuomov »

I’m interested in this question as well.

My thinking is that the circular firing pattern only matters because it allows the merge angle between consecutively firing cylinders to be shallow. The merge angle across the collector is necessarily a little wider. For the absolutely ideal collector, maybe it matters. For anything that isn’t optimal to start with, probably makes a really small difference if any at all.

This thinking (by me) only applies to long tube headers. I think that for short tube headers where pulse interference isn’t solved the collector pairing and geometry seems to be a whole different animal.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have seen very little or NO difference with those collectors

JOE SHERMAN RACING
garym

Post by garym »

Thank you for your reply.I think as remember on my last header build the primary tube length was about 28-29 inches long.I was able to get all primary tubes within 1/2 to 3/4 inch which I thought was real good.The merge collectors that I have are the Edelbrock collectors and I think that the primary tube length will be around 28" .I looked over the first set of headers that I built with the same header kit and it looks like I will have to move the 4&6 tubes to get the circular firing/exhaust pattern that is supposed to be the way these merge collectors work.Any further advice/input would be great. THANKS garym
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Sounds like a good myth buster story. My guess is that there is zero benefit to having a circular firing pattern in the header collector. I just can't see how it would matter at all. Do people think that the exhaust pulses add energy to the collector if they are circular? Some sort of tornado effect or something??

The pulses are uneven on a V8 for one thing so that disrupts the flow. I'll say the myth is busted but I'm always open for dyno results if someone has built two sets of headers and tested them back to back. Show me the data and I'll become a believer.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

I agree with Joe. I have seen two different guys A-B-A test merge collectors, seeing no gain.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

It matters if your trying to get the choke as small as possible. Not too many folks get there.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
Blog: www.exhausting101.com
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

exhausted wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm It matters if your trying to get the choke as small as possible. Not too many folks get there.
Exactly, basically running one firing pipe after another into the choke/collector reduces turbulence when compared to firing a pulse opposite the last pulse. Less turbulence here means more direct flow thru the choke so a smaller choke can be used and an more efficient collector can be constructed.
We're not talking gigantic gains here, its just one of the small 'attention to detail' gains that adds up with all the other small gains.
Craig.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

I have always worked to make all the 4 into 1 headers I have built have a "rotating" firing order. There is no proof I have ever heard to verify any benefit but I believe it is better. Just watch your darn toilet, Ha! :lol:
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Exhausted, I am going to try to employ an exhaust system as close to what NASCAR is doing as possible for my 8500 RPM project. Do you know what they are doing BETWEEN the 2 collectors and where the exhaust exits out the pass. side? Thanks Mark H.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Look under Calvin's profile, and start going through all his old posts. Some of the best information that's ever been shared here, and exhausts in general, anywhere on the web.
-Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

THANKS Hoffman
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

exhausted wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm It matters if your trying to get the choke as small as possible. Not too many folks get there.
have you found and guides on how small you can go? for example on a 3 into 1 (240* separation) couldn't you make the choke the same size as the throat of the port e.g. 0.9 x Valve Diameter?
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

The problem with blanket statements on components such as merge collectors, is that they're the type of component that requires, or creates the opportunity for, other changes or adjustments, in order to take advantage of what they offer.

Adding a merge collector by itself, with no other changes, will usually only offer a return in increased power if the exhaust is not already optimized.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 am Exhausted, I am going to try to employ an exhaust system as close to what NASCAR is doing as possible for my 8500 RPM project. Do you know what they are doing BETWEEN the 2 collectors and where the exhaust exits out the pass. side? Thanks Mark H.
Big. 3.4 or 4" oval tubing and some type of connection between the two.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430