CSA of SBC Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Pappy
HotPass
HotPass

CSA of SBC Heads

Post by Pappy »

I tried to search this but came up with a blank. I'd like to compare the actual measured CSA of a few heads. I'm interested in Profiler 185 vs 195, AFR 180 vs 195, GM Fast Burn 210, and small port Bowtie Vortec. I'd like to compare actual measurements with Pipemax instead of just using formulas for average CSA. I read that the Fast Burn head has a lot of its cc's in the bowl area and the rest of the port has a smaller CSA than 210 cc's would indicate. Even observations from those who have compared them side by side would be useful information. I'm interested in something for a street 327 up to 6,000 rpm.

Thanks for your help,

Eric
kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Re: CSA of SBC Heads

Post by kimosabi »

Not an easy task there. To find CSA in all areas of the runner you would need to cast the inside of the runner and pull it out to see the shape. Then measure.

Why do you need to be this exact to determine a good set of heads for a 6.000rpm 327?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

327 making how much hp @ 6000 rpm?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Pappy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Pappy »

I was hoping for at least port openings and pushrod pinch measurements. I'm probably splitting hairs trying to have my cake and eat it too, and have some fun trying to figure it all out. Since it is a 327 I don't want to give up any more low end than I have to. Car is original and a cam lobe went flat. So I need a cam and another stock cam would be no fun. The car will probably stay in the family so I'm willing to make a few other changes that I could easily change back, such as heads, intake, and headers. But I don't want to get into a stroker kit, changing trans and gears. Well, maybe trans and gears down the road. I'm just trying to keep this from getting out of hand. My preference is a strong midrange pull that holds up to 6,000, with as much low end as possible.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you are willing to also change the intake manifold you will be very happy with a set of GM 062 Vortec heads.
They get even better when warmed over with 2.02 x 1.60 valves.
Pappy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Pappy »

I heard the vortecs aren't what they used to be. How would the small port vortec Bowtie head compare?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That was going to be my pick also!

You can grab a set of rebuilt Vortec's for a song, and likely the used Manifold also and there no larger then the max of 175 CCs I was going to recommend to you.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Pappy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 am I tried to search this but came up with a blank. I'd like to compare the actual measured CSA of a few heads. I'm interested in Profiler 185 vs 195, AFR 180 vs 195, GM Fast Burn 210, and small port Bowtie Vortec. I'd like to compare actual measurements with Pipemax instead of just using formulas for average CSA. I read that the Fast Burn head has a lot of its cc's in the bowl area and the rest of the port has a smaller CSA than 210 cc's would indicate. Even observations from those who have compared them side by side would be useful information. I'm interested in something for a street 327 up to 6,000 rpm.

Thanks for your help,

Eric
Any of the heads you listed would make the power goals you have.

The GMPP fast burns aren't 210 cc like GM lists it. Every one I've CC ed was 199-200 cc.
The GMPP small port vortec Bowtie is 180 cc, not 185 cc like GM lists it.
Either of the GM heads would run real well on what your doing.

The factory 062 - 906 vortecs run good too, but are crack prone. Got another set here that needed cracks pinned. So I'd watch what your willing to pay for a used set of those, or you may end up with just as much as a new set of aftermarket heads in them.

The Pro filer would also. We used the Pro filer 185 head on our EMC engine this year. It's about 196-198cc after porting and has 2.065 in valve now.
They are sittin on the shelf at Joe's machine shop, maybe he will sell them?? They'd run good too !! LOL :D

Randy
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I keep seeing comments about cracked Vortecs, but I have yet to see it. Is it high compression that kills them?
So much to do, so little time...
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

You can find the information on here. I think there's a list of min CSAs of a ton of SBC heads from Larry Widmer or Larry Meaux that keeps getting reposted.

Adam
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Put the vortec's on and you'll never look back.... I'm no Chevy guy but even I know they are darn good.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

rfoll wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 am I keep seeing comments about cracked Vortecs, but I have yet to see it. Is it high compression that kills them?
I'm curious about this too. I have a new set of Mexican-cast vortecs on my car. Water temp never goes above 195. Wondering if I can expect cracking down the road, or if the cracked heads only happen in towing-type applications with high exhaust temps and high water temp.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The vortec heads crack in the origional application becaue of a very common intake manifold gasket
water leak that results in low engine coolant level and thus engine overheating.
This is what cracks those heads. Then the engine gets pulled and the cracked heads get sold off on Ebay etc.

This is why so many USED cracked vortec heads .

When NOT used on the origional GM trucks such as if bought new and used in a non stock performance application, even when used for racing,,
The GM Vortec heads DO NOT have a history of cracking at all.

Buy NEW 062//906 Vortec heads and you'll be fine. Any all used vortec heads are suspect and will need mag checking for cracks before investing money in them.

It is the engine overheating/loss of coolant abuse that kills the vortec heads on the origional L-31 Vortec truck motors,,, not compression.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The Stock OEM vortec truck heads that are not abused (loss of coolant overheating) DO NOT enter the used cylinder head market because they are still in service on the original L-31 engine.
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

You need something around 1.65"-1.7" CSA for only 6000rpm, so keep the CCs as small as possible.
I think trickflow makes a 175cc head.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2