Enginelabs just dis a BB ford

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Enginelabs just dis a BB ford

Post by SupStk »

I thought the interesting thing was how it all happened. As I understand Ford was going to buy Ferrai. The deal bogged down when the bean counters got involved, Someone told Enzo they were going to put Ford engines in his cars. He called the deal off. HenryII was pissed so he wanted to put that "Uppity Italian" in his place. Told his engineers to build him a winner and didn't care what it cost. As the head of the project was quoted, "We spent alot of Ol' Henry's money".
The rest is history.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

No doubt Carroll and Ken were hugely responsible but read this article on
FE development for 66
And remember the 67 winning MK IV was the only All american car to win Lemans and it had a Dual Quad Tunnelport!!

http://performance.ford.com/series/ford ... P_FASTNEWS
LIGHT 'EM UP
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

My friend built one of Calvert's S/S FE engines, I can tell you one thing is for sure, not one thing in that engine came off a production line, and I constantly reminded him of that. The carb was factory though :mrgreen: 9.40 Cobra Jet 428. Now his 352 every part came down a assembly line................
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Is it possible to build a REAL 1000hp n/a fe, or should I say, has it been done yet?
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Yes.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 pm Is it possible to build a REAL 1000hp n/a fe, or should I say, has it been done yet?
I am aware of at least four of them - and I am certain that a few others exist that are not "talking" about it.

The ones I know about are as "real" as are any other 1000 HP vintage V8 - aftermarket everything but legacy architecture.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Barry_R wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 am
Frankshaft wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 pm Is it possible to build a REAL 1000hp n/a fe, or should I say, has it been done yet?
I am aware of at least four of them - and I am certain that a few others exist that are not "talking" about it.

The ones I know about are as "real" as are any other 1000 HP vintage V8 - aftermarket everything but legacy architecture.
The reason I said REAL in big letters, is, I believe about 1 in 5 dyno results that I see online. There are "happy" dyno's out there, and less than honest operators, or is it the latter? They do it locally in my area too. Literally, you can take a 30 mile drive, one is literally 10% "happy" 580hp to 640hp for one example, just from a half hour drive. I have proof on paper that one shop will play games for their "good" regular customers. Magical how an engine goes from making 670 hp with .45-46 bfsc, to 720hp and .38 bsfc, from pull 9 to pull 10. And pull 4, pull 5, pull 6, pull 7 pull 8, are within 10hp of pull 9, trying timing, jetting, spacers etc. Then like magic, the 10th pull picks up 50 hp. I got a spy report recently, engine is making 1170. 12 pulls, tuning, etc etc. Operator sais, Hey, lets do a "hail Mary pull". Cools the water temp types a few things in the computer, and boom, lucky number 13 pull makes 1238. Yah, ok then. Pretty neat trick, 68hp for 30 degree cooler water temp. The owner was quoted as saying, telling the story, " yah, it was weird, the thing REALLY likes to be cool. All we did was cool the engine from 130 to 100 degrees. And it picked up HUGE. " And again, bsfc numbers go from mid 4's to mid 3's. Like magic, the worst part, he and his friends, believe it makes that, no matter what you tell him. The 1 of 2 dyno's I use, are the least busy. Why? I have literally been told, I don't want to use him, because his numbers are low. NO, they are RIGHT. That's the real number, and it will run what the power sais it should, usually faster, Not chase your tail for 2 seasons, sending you converter back 3 times to be adjusted, because it doesn't stall how its supposed to, and changing fuel systems, and 10 other things because the car doesn't run the number. Don't even get me started on the "big" name guys. The biggest difference we have seen, 1260hp, to 1080 hp. A certain shop, 100+. What ever it says on the paper, subtract 100, and that's what it will make. The shops that get a thumbs up, Kasse's and Sony's. My buddie has dynode no less than 6 engines from those 2 shops, within 3-4hp. That's how it should be.

Sorry for the rant, but it gets old. I have heard, Oh, big deal, its just a number, bllshyt, its more than that. Guys are being robbed, that's what it is, theft by swindle. Because, usually, most of em are charging premium money for nothing special, because look, it makes 100 more than the next guy. Sorry to hijack the thread. People need to be educated about this stuff. If I do nothing other than plant a seed and they think about it, even if they think I am a nutt job conspiracy theorist, that's fine.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I have not done one - so I cannot speak to the integrity of any of the dyno installations or operators.
I can only compare my own

Of the four I personally know about, three different dyno locations were involved. Somebody is probably close to legit...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

All in all the FE deserves alot of respect! It doesn't matter whos camp you sit at. As a ford guy the FE is the grand daddy of fords climb to racing history. From the super stock 427-428's and the 427 sohc. Those are the engines that got us all wound up. I've been primarily involved with cleveland and 385 fords but have worked on a few 428 cj cars. These motors always impress me by their low end grunt and ease of tire shredding tq. Very fun to drive when comparing to the characteristics of high winding clevelands.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Barry_R wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am I have not done one - so I cannot speak to the integrity of any of the dyno installations or operators.
I can only compare my own

Of the four I personally know about, three different dyno locations were involved. Somebody is probably close to legit...
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't insinuating your numbers weren't legit, just making a general observation, and ranting a bit. I am sure given the opportunity, I know I could make a 1000 with one.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

As a ford guy the FE is the grand daddy of fords climb to racing history. From the super stock 427-428's and the 427 sohc.
It's all about when one was an impressionable kid as to what he remembers about Fords. Before the FE, the Ford guys were racing the supercharged Y-block and the MEL 430" Super Marauder 3x2 bbl. And before my time, they were building Mercury flathead V8s and in my dad's era A-bones with OHV conversions and before that Model Ts with OHC conversions and on January 12, 1904 in New Baltimore, Michigan, Henry Ford drove his 999 racer, with his mechanic Ed "Spider" Huff at the throttle, to a new land speed record of 91.37 mph on an ice track carved into Lake St. Clair's Anchor Bay. It stood for only a few weeks, but this was ample time to bring more good publicity for Ford's new company.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 pm
As a ford guy the FE is the grand daddy of fords climb to racing history. From the super stock 427-428's and the 427 sohc.
It's all about when one was an impressionable kid as to what he remembers about Fords. Before the FE, the Ford guys were racing the supercharged Y-block and the MEL 430" Super Marauder 3x2 bbl. And before my time, they were building Mercury flathead V8s and in my dad's era A-bones with OHV conversions and before that Model Ts with OHC conversions and on January 12, 1904 in New Baltimore, Michigan, Henry Ford drove his 999 racer, with his mechanic Ed "Spider" Huff at the throttle, to a new land speed record of 91.37 mph on an ice track carved into Lake St. Clair's Anchor Bay. It stood for only a few weeks, but this was ample time to bring more good publicity for Ford's new company.
Good point. My dad to this day, thinks his 65 belvedere 2 he had back in the day, with its super commando383, 3.23 open rear end and all, felt faster than his 10 second, 130 mph 65 belvedere 2 he has now.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes all true. Heck even Don Garlits started racing flat heads and even a stint with small block Chevy!
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Frankshaft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:47 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 pm
Good point. My dad to this day, thinks his 65 belvedere 2 he had back in the day, with its super commando383, 3.23 open rear end and all, felt faster than his 10 second, 130 mph 65 belvedere 2 he has now.

I love it. As I get older I feel the same way about nostalgic stuff.
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

"...It suffered from a Ford strategy where the wilder 427 engines were reasonably competitive with anything of the era, but the popular and readily available 390 packages were just to tame to go against the competition on the street. The 428 CJ was the answer - and a good one - but it came toward the end of the FE's run in performance passenger car production..."

Yup, that was exactly how I remembered it in the olden days. 427s were feared but 390s were not, at
least by the 327 crowd out in the bundocs where I was. I did gain some instant respect for 390 interceptors
late one night however. And the 428CJ was just a 428 interceptor with a cast iron intake, IRRC.