Steel-on-steel unbushed rod small ends

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: Steel-on-steel unbushed rod small ends

Post by BILL-C »

I've built many road race and circle track engines with full floated rods without bushings. Always with very light box style pistons and DLC coated pins. Usually 2.00 long .866 dia. Typically piston guided also. A very smooth pin bore is required.
Carlquist Competition Engines
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Done it many times. The old 250 6 cylinder chevy rod. Narrow it at the big end, hone it out and go. No problems. If it does freeze up don't you have a pressed pin? LOL
Joe Stalnaker
WV
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

modok wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:33 pm
There are some exceptions where a floating pin is good idea to make wear even and/or to allow more accommodation for crank flex, but that would be mostly OLD archaic designs.
Ain't that the truth...The vintage Triumph bikes I race needs the floating pin with a bit of a loose fit in the piston...Otherwise the pin seizes in the piston and then it all goes to crap....
I rebuilt a Ford 9N tractor engine and noticed the cam rides directly on the cast iron block ..............
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Flo
Pro
Pro

Post by Flo »

all of the Japanese 4 cylinder motorcycle engines are steel on steel floating pin. My old Zuzuki GS 1100/1150 only spins to 8500rpm (stock) and the wrist pins are not a week point. Those motors are good to about 60k miles before overhaul.... and mostly the air cooled cylinders and the guides are worn, not the pins/rods.

Current GSXR 1000 spinds what at redline? 14000rpm? Should not be a problem if oilng is secured
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

About a year ago I had a 302 Chevy come in that was an original factory build from 1969 or so... Some of those engines came with full floating pins that were supposedly run in a rod that had been sized and specially plated. They were totally 100% worn out. I'd say at least .020 clearance on the pin with most of the wear inside of the rod. I don't know how many miles were on the engine but the crank looked great and there was very little bore wear.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Just about every Cup engine out there runs without a pin bushing. I know we haven't used them in 15+ years.
A polished pin bore and a DLC coated pin.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 am Just about every Cup engine out there runs without a pin bushing. I know we haven't used them in 15+ years.
don't they use full pressure pin oiling thru the rod ??
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

pamotorman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 am
Warp Speed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 am Just about every Cup engine out there runs without a pin bushing. I know we haven't used them in 15+ years.
No, not any more. It was too tough to properly control the finish of the feed hole. Stress risers would form from the feed hole and the rod would fail in the beam or small end.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:07 am
pamotorman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 am
No, not any more. It was too tough to properly control the finish of the feed hole. Stress risers would form from the feed hole and the rod would fail in the beam or small end.
My wife always complains about failure on the small end...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I have used steel on steel, unbushed rods/pins on many occasions. Have always drilled a small hole and chamfered it, for pin oiling - with no problems.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I'm putting together a SBC with floating pins no bushes today - I don't expect problems.
Done it quite a few times, not an issue.

Just run a little extra clearance than you would with a bronze bush & drill a spit hole in the top of the small end with a chamfer.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

OK guys now lets hear the REASON for NOT using a pin bushing ? Mark H., I am gonna guess that it is to eliminate a part that could possibly fail ?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

swampbuggy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 pm OK guys now lets hear the REASON for NOT using a pin bushing ? Mark H., I am gonna guess that it is to eliminate a part that could possibly fail ?
if they are not pressure rolled into the rod they can come loose if just a press fit. the best way is a coarse feed finish in the rod bore and pressure roll in the bushing.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Pamotorman---- that must not be the ONLY reason ???
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

swampbuggy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:45 pm Pamotorman---- that must not be the ONLY reason ???
it adds a expense that is not needed. I used to do it when rod center to center dimensions were not well controlled to get the decks equal and you had to use the stock parts