TBI style EFI on big HP engines

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

Has anyone tried using a carb replacement EFI system on a high HP engine? I've used the FI Tech system on an essentially stock 390 and it worked great, but what about one of the FI Tech (or any other brand) systems for a big block with a projected output of 750-800 fwhp? I've read that for all out N/A builds a carb will generally net a slightly higher output, but the drivability of EFI is very nice. I'm just throwing some feelers out there to see what your thoughts on the subject are.

I know the option of MPFI would be more ideal if I were dead set on EFI, but I'm not, and the cost outweighs the benefit for me to even look into that. Thanks for your input.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
stangbuilder
Re: TBI style EFI on big HP engines

Post by stangbuilder »

I have a T/B efi set up my 477Fe its making south of 700 hp.Had a pro systems 950 before the efi set up..I will never go back..Done with carbs.I have a fast sportsman deal. lap top tuneable..But there is one downside $$$$$$$$..... It tames the beast big time my car almost idles smooth with a 240s cam in it at 750 rpm..As a plus better gas mileage from 8-9 to 10-11 on the street...
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

stangbuilder wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm I have a T/B efi set up my 477Fe its making south of 700 hp.Had a pro systems 950 before the efi set up..I will never go back..Done with carbs.I have a fast sportsman deal. lap top tuneable..But there is one downside $$$$$$$$..... It tames the beast big time my car almost idles smooth with a 240s cam in it at 750 rpm..As a plus better gas mileage from 8-9 to 10-11 on the street...
I'm looking at 521-527 depending on where it cleans. I know that FITech has a system that claims to be good to 800, so that could be a contender, but honestly I'd want to dyno it with something like a 1050 to see what kind of power it makes. I don't want to put a system rated for 800 on an engine that can make 775. I'd like to have a little more buffer zone than that.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Dual throttle bodies shouldn't have any problem making 800 hp. Might be hard to find a single throttle body that is big enough and has enough injector to handle 800 hp. I'm working on a 482 inch Ford FE where we will be using dual FAST throttle bodies on a tunnel wedge type of intake. We're not going to make 800 hp with this engine, but this is the type of setup I'd use on a high power engine.
DSC_0854 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

andyf wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:49 pm Dual throttle bodies shouldn't have any problem making 800 hp. Might be hard to find a single throttle body that is big enough and has enough injector to handle 800 hp. I'm working on a 482 inch Ford FE where we will be using dual FAST throttle bodies on a tunnel wedge type of intake. We're not going to make 800 hp with this engine, but this is the type of setup I'd use on a high power engine.

DSC_0854 (Large).JPG
Therein lies my conundrum. I only want single, so if a single TB won't do it then a big carb it is!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Fitech has an 800 and 1200hp system. Did you look at them at all? The 1200hp kit will cover daily driven 383's from 250hp all the way to 25lbs of boost on a 1200hp build. That should be good enough, no? You don't have to have a power adder with their power adder system. They're just better suited to use with power adders.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
kcengines
HotPass
HotPass

Post by kcengines »

The 1200 kit won't support 1200 hp without boost. Throttle body only flows 850cfm max.
stangbuilder

Post by stangbuilder »

Heres the issue dont buy into 1200hp unit.. its that they are self learning.. no two engines are the same at that level..auto and stick make a big diference on what unit will work..And is work is all you want then maybe.. get the sportsman unit and do your own tune..in the long run you will love it...the cool part is if you can think of it you can tune it that way

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/ ... ead.25608/ heres a good read.... a Lot of good info on there
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

kcengines wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm The 1200 kit won't support 1200 hp without boost. Throttle body only flows 850cfm max.
The 1200hp kit I was looking at has 2 tb's to make 1200 NA hp.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:21 am
kcengines wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm The 1200 kit won't support 1200 hp without boost. Throttle body only flows 850cfm max.
The 1200hp kit I was looking at has 2 tb's to make 1200 NA hp.
The first 1200 kit you were talking about was FITechs 1200 power adder. That won't handle 1200 N/A. A dual kit to support 1200 is doable, but I'll e using a single point of entry... duals are out.

I've used the FITech system before like I said. I know what it'll do on a mild build. What I'm doing isn't a mild build
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

stangbuilder wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 pm Heres the issue dont buy into 1200hp unit.. its that they are self learning.. no two engines are the same at that level..auto and stick make a big diference on what unit will work..And is work is all you want then maybe.. get the sportsman unit and do your own tune..in the long run you will love it...the cool part is if you can think of it you can tune it that way

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/ ... ead.25608/ heres a good read.... a Lot of good info on there
The "self learning" isn't that bad really, and if you want to go crazy with it you can more or less get rid of their baseline "tunes" that are used for the self learning feature. My issue is that FITechs 1200 system will only make 1200 with boost. Ideally I need a TB that flows 1000-1050 cfm (I think)

Edit: thanks for the link!
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Keep your big carb and install an Electronic Carb Injection system.

K&N will debut this product for race engines at PRI.

Preview: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingf ... t1602.html
Mike Laws Performance
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

Mike Laws wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 am Keep your big carb and install an Electronic Carb Injection system.

This sounds pretty cool. I missed SEMA. Anyone have any pics of what this setup looks like?
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Check thirdgen.org and dynamic efi for tbi power.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

nickpohlaandp wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am
Mike Laws wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 am Keep your big carb and install an Electronic Carb Injection system.

This sounds pretty cool. I missed SEMA. Anyone have any pics of what this setup looks like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Laws Performance