wet sump/vac pump/dry sump testing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

wet sump/vac pump/dry sump testing

Post by andyf »

With the help of Peterson Fluid Systems and Star Machine I was able to do some wet sump vs. dry sump testing. This is using my pump gas 470 inch engine so your results might vary. My 470 makes peak power at 7000 rpm so I'd expect different results at 8000 or higher rpm.

Anyway, on my engine the wet sump was a little down on power compared to the dry sump but a wet sump + vacuum pump had identical power to the dry sump. We also tested an intake that was ported by Wilson Manifolds and picked up a nice chunk of power on the top end.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tes ... ake-power/
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Re: wet sump/vac pump/dry sump testing

Post by Amilcar »

Andy,

Which piston rings is this using?
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

043 top ring, 1/16 second ring and 3/16 oil ring. Nothing super trick since there wasn't much in the catalog available for the 4.375 bore size. JE did the pistons and they had to special order the top ring since they didn't have an off the shelf 043 ring in this size.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I've had my hand at many race engines over the years and I think that test although limited to that engine application is indicative of what I have always observed and been exposed to and that is that dry sump systems are far more effective at oil control under movement than a means to produce more horsepower. Windage issues and such can rob power from both wet and dry sump systems. Start moving the sump oil around a lot and you better have a dry sump system.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: