Street car definition

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rocketracer380
Pro
Pro
Street car definition

Post by rocketracer380 »

At what point is it no longer a street car to me if u no longer can pass your states safety requirements Ie.defrost, wipers, exhaust,because no inspection meens no registration no plates no streetcar my boy runs no alternator and claims it's a street car?
434 nova
Re: Street car definition

Post by 434 nova »

Racegas!!!!!!!
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

I agree if u can't pull up to the pump I would say it's a race car after all what r u gonna do drive around with race fuel in your trunk but then again some stations sell 105/110 octane at the pump so I guess if u got deep pockets it can be classified as a street car but what happens when u on the road lo on fuel and it's not available?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

I wouldn't define it by fuel. I'd say if you can pass all LEGAL requirements for your state to include working headlights, taillights, wipers, tagged, insured, etc... and can complete a 30 mile drive without stopping for fuel, overheating, etc... then you can call it a street car. If you can manage to make that happen while running M1, have at it.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

There are plenty of cars out there that are strictly street vehicles that won't pass any kind of scrutiny by state or Federal inspectors. My racer runs fine on pump gas, but with a 5100 rpm stall speed, it's getting hard to call it a street vehicle. It is licensed and insured.
So much to do, so little time...
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

So i would assume that no wipers no heat for functional defrost no mufflers on slicks no nysi no plates and no alternator what kind of street is that? And last but not least they don't sell race fuel at any pump I see around hear not to mention 8" 5000 stall
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Would you rather have a streetable race car?
or a raceable street car?
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Streetable race car all day long hands down!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

When someone other then yourself can just get right in it without get 10 minutes worth of precautionary instructions under there belt then it's not a street car!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

If my bike can out run it, it's a street car.... :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

In the age of almost off the chart stretches of a car with almost unbelievable pump gas power and incredible chassis, transmission and tire technology it is a very broad paint brush were defining "STREETCAR" with! Just look at that new off the showroom floor 800+ Dodge Demon that little kid next door can roll to his buddies hangouts with! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am When someone other then yourself can just get right in it without get 10 minutes worth of precautionary instructions under there belt then it's not a street car!
I guess that would eliminate my car. The full 3" exhaust makes enough heat for the coldest day at the track allowing me to remove the clutter under the hood. I took the wiper system off because they would blow past the park position around 100 mph and start running. The power steering is long gone. I took the back seat out because the roll bar made access to the it nearly impossible. The converter lets the engine drop to nearly an idle when you lift, no engine braking anymore. The latch lock style safety harness befuddles everyone. You can't open the carb to wot at 60 mph without fear of winding up in the ditch or the oncoming traffic lane, but still, It's licensed and insured.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Registered, insured, and uses pump fuel — and you want to occasionally drive it on public roads.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

rocketracer380 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 am So i would assume that no wipers no heat for functional defrost no mufflers on slicks no nysi no plates and no alternator what kind of street is that? And last but not least they don't sell race fuel at any pump I see around hear not to mention 8" 5000 stall
I can buy race gasoline from 3 different stations around here right out of the pump; if I go more than 5 miles, I am sure there will be more. The only restriction in Michigan is that it can not be pumped directly into a vehicle's gas tank. Just carry a gas-can.

If it has things missing required by the state licensing people, (whoever that is in your state), and can not pass a state inspection then it certainly is not a street vehicle .
If the vehicle has all the required stuff ... then it certainly IS classified as a street legal vehicle no matter how extreme it may be.

Laws vary from state to state so, just like people's opinion ... the definition of a street vehicle will also be very different.
If you can legally drive it to some kind of race track, it is a street vehicle.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

At the track where I race, (PIR), there is a car we refer to as the "holy s**t" Camaro. When he makes a pass, everyone says "holy s**t". He runs 7.8s at some absurd mph. It has a license plate.