Bang-for-the buck Performance SBC street heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

A HotRod
Pro
Pro

Re: Bang-for-the buck Performance SBC street heads?

Post by A HotRod »

Pappy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 pm Who makes the Jegs iron vortec heads? Is it supposed to be their version of the small port Bowtie vortec?
I dont' have your answer, .... but somewhere I was lead to believe they were getting some heads from Profiler.
Glenn
Glenn
A HotRod
Pro
Pro

Post by A HotRod »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 pm Are you willin-able to self port your heads.
(your biggest skill needed is patience/persistance
to see it thru. Porting cast heads is not a fast or clean process.
Or is there a capable willing local pro who can....?
They need a complete porting but huge metal removal is not
needed.. (Except those husky valve guide bosses)

You don't need the hugest flow numbers .

The job is straight forward but not fast.
Thank You Sir
Glenn
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Another nice head worth mention is the Summit Racing
200cc port aluminum sbc heads. It is a Brodix IK200 with
a Summit name cast on it. Otherwise identical.
Brodix quality casting. You save $100.

Summit also has a Summit brand label 170cc port
Aluminum sbc head.. It appears to be Trick Flow super 23° head.
But with the 170cc intake port from their super 23 "305" head
but with 2.02's and a 64cc chamber.
(Summit owns TrickFlow)
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Yeah it's not easy these days knowing who makes what. I bought a set of trickFlow beehives which turned out to be PAC.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Of all the options posted on this thread, if not the AFR's, I'd be inclined to use the Jegs/profiler head. The Jegs//profiler is as cast. It still would be a quality casting, the question is how good are the parts, valve job quality, guide sizing etc...
Usually the AFR's are pretty good out of the box, cnc ports and chambers, have decent parts, but you pay for it.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

KnightEngines wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 pm Big, aggressive cutters - cut down the guide bosses (thin them), blend in the bowls, tidy up the short turns, set the MCSA at the pinch & knock off the lumps, on the exhaust side thin the guide bosses, blend in the bowls & tidy the turns, in the chambers just blend in the valve job.
I could knock that over in 8 hrs or less on the grinder & see pretty significant gains, far more than required to make 450hp.

Porting iron doesn't take much longer than alloy if you have the right cutters - the extra grinding time is offset by not having to stop to lube alloy so the burrs don't load up, the end result is a pretty minimal difference in time taken for mild port work (if you have 'iron cut' burrs that'll rip it out fast & a grinder powerfull enough to run them).
I'm sure they would be great with your rework. How much per hour for that eight hours labor?
Then being used heads, they may need guide work, valves, the valve job, set up, assembly. None of it is free.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
mtrhead

Post by mtrhead »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 am Of all the options posted on this thread, if not the AFR's, I'd be inclined to use the Jegs/profiler head. The Jegs//profiler is as cast. It still would be a quality casting, the question is how good are the parts, valve job quality, guide sizing etc...
Usually the AFR's are pretty good out of the box, cnc ports and chambers, have decent parts, but you pay for it.
My only caution with with profilers is the size of the exhaust port. It's raised over stock and the header bolt holes stayed in the stock location. Makes it hard for normal headers to fit. The exhaust ports are also very wide so you will also run into fitment problems on normal street headers. Some grind and slot to fit. I had to extensively mod my 1.75" headers and they still block a touch. My guess is 95% of everyone using these heads NEVER checks and just bolts on their headers. I'm not talking racers but average guy looking for hot street/strip setup. They are more extreme in both cases that the GM fast burn raised port heads. Those heads caused the same stir of confusion when they came out

Another option is the ATK (profiler with stock position exhaust ports). They are not raised and not as wide. Bolt holes and port are in standard position. ATK did this because of what I wrote above.

Don't know how much performance is lost with equal cc ATK

Look at each heads pictures on the website or google images and you can see clearly the port to bolt hole issue on the Profilers.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

A HotRod wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm In your opinion, what Performance cylinder head for a SBC 355 engine that one would like to make 430 HP or more streetable power and torque from, that would be considered affordable?

Current heads on it are World Sportsman II - Stock

Glenn
Have you decided on heads yet ?

Randy
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

randy331 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 am
A HotRod wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm In your opinion, what Performance cylinder head for a SBC 355 engine that one would like to make 430 HP or more streetable power and torque from, that would be considered affordable?

Glenn

Randy

Just full bowl port the sportsman 2's. Both intake and ex. Don't touch the opening on the intake, or the outlet on the ex. Just under the valves, and around the short turn. If you can't make 430hp with a 230 ish at .050 hyd. roller cam, something is seriously wrong.
A HotRod
Pro
Pro

Post by A HotRod »

Glenn

No Sir, I have been reading everyones impute and comments as well as research.
It may be in my best interest to have my current heads ported, if they can reduced the chamber CC's to get my engine into the mid-to upper 9-to-1 compression area.
Glenn

Randy
Glenn
A HotRod
Pro
Pro

Post by A HotRod »

Frankshaft wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:32 am

Glenn

Randy

Just full bowl port the sportsman 2's. Both intake and ex. Don't touch the opening on the intake, or the outlet on the ex. Just under the valves, and around the short turn. If you can't make 430hp with a 230 ish at .050 hyd. roller cam, something is seriously wrong.
Thank You Sir. Very informative.
Glenn
Glenn