Kubota 3 Cylinder Balance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rcull

Kubota 3 Cylinder Balance

Post by rcull »

I have a Kubota D1105 3 cylinder diesel here. The OE pistons were 374 grams, the replacement ones are 417. It makes me wonder about balance.

If I were to balance it, for the bob weights, what percentage of the reciprocating weight would I use? I assume I would still use 100% of the rotating weight.
NORSK

Re: Kubota 3 Cylinder Balance

Post by NORSK »

You would have to add weight to the counterweights since the new slugs are heavier
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Wouldn't a 3-cyl follow the rules for a 6-cyl and not require bobweights?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm Wouldn't a 3-cyl follow the rules for a 6-cyl and not require bobweights?
I don't know about that; I looked in the book that came with our balancing machine and in there it mentions a Perkins 3 cylinder gas and diesel. For that engine it says zero % reciprocating and 50% of the rotating weight. I would say the best and easiest way to know would be to just spin the crank in a balancing machine. If it reads really close with no bob weights then you'll know.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm Wouldn't a 3-cyl follow the rules for a 6-cyl and not require bobweights?
I don't know about that; I looked in the book that came with our balancing machine and in there it mentions a Perkins 3 cylinder gas and diesel. For that engine it says zero % reciprocating and 50% of the rotating weight. I would say the best and easiest way to know would be to just spin the crank in a balancing machine. If it reads really close with no bob weights then you'll know.
I'm with Jack.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Yes dave is correct with the percentage he quoted for a perkins and that they require bob weights i have done 3 cyl suzuki and daihatsu petrol cranks and they both required bob weights to balance the cranks. I cannot remember offhand which engine but one of them required a different percentage on the bobweight to the percentage quoted by dave.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm Yes dave is correct with the percentage he quoted for a perkins and that they require bob weights i have done 3 cyl suzuki and daihatsu petrol cranks and they both required bob weights to balance the cranks. I cannot remember offhand which engine but one of them required a different percentage on the bobweight to the percentage quoted by dave.
I'm not arguing, but confused why an inline-3 requires bob weights, and 4 and 6-bangers don't.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

4 qnd 6 cylinder the front half and the rear half are mirror image, so they balance eachother out.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Glen has it
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

If in doubt, spin it up without BWs to verify. It will need BWs.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."