Restricting Roller cam bearing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Restricting Roller cam bearing

Post by 1972ho »

Do you engine/machine shops when you install roller cam bearing do you block off the oil or restrict are do you just leave the passage open seeing how there is no hole in the roller cam bearing.I have just had my passage open since the bearing where installed but have never been 100percent sure about it.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro
Re: Restricting Roller cam bearing

Post by Charliesauto »

1972ho wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm Do you engine/machine shops when you install roller cam bearing do you block off the oil or restrict are do you just leave the passage open seeing how there is no hole in the roller cam bearing.I have just had my passage open since the bearing where installed but have never been 100percent sure about it.
No need to block or restrict the original cam bearing oil feed hole. We have built dozens and machined many blocks for customers for the roller bearings and just install the bearing with no other work.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Roller/ball brgs need minimal oiling; engineering fact; no better example than the front wheel brgs on your average car, run on the smell of grease for years.
Which makes you wonder why needle roller roller lifters need pressure fed oiling...
Could it be....just marketing hype......
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I don't block off the feeds. The outer races do that for you when installed. The exception is on Fords that have part of the feed exposed to the thrusts on #1, those get restricted.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

Geoff2 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 am Roller/ball brgs need minimal oiling; engineering fact; no better example than the front wheel brgs on your average car, run on the smell of grease for years.
Which makes you wonder why needle roller roller lifters need pressure fed oiling...
Could it be....just marketing hype......
I don't think they need pressure fed oiling, but it doesn't hurt to have a little insurance. But you also have to take into account you are putting 600lbs+ on those small needles. The wheel bearings you used in the example are a lot larger and handle similar pressures. I would also say that the shock absorber/tire helps keep the wheel bearings alive from all those lovely pot holes most of our states seem to be unable to fix
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Nut,

Mostly agree with your comments. I am always surprised at how long the w/bearings last. Consider a car/truck driven at highways speeds for hours on end, with no fresh lubrication for the WBs, just a whiff of grease.....most of which was thrown off long ago by centrifugal force ....