434 vs 434

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mark_follweiler
Re: 434 vs 434

Post by mark_follweiler »

done here, all this dick measuring is boring....
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

While we are at it, I worked over the 5HP briggs engine in my mower as a kid and had it making so much power and spinning more RPM that I had to run to keep up with the dang thing. Unfortunately the rod broke after about a month of use and when it did I almost endo'ed over the handles as it stopped dead.

I am sure it would have kept up with some of the above mentioned combos, and it was all motor. NO SPRAY OR POWER ADDERS.

(Mic Drop)

Paul :lol:
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
mark_follweiler

pretty lame Paul....
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Not the best but good running pump gas motor I've seen builds on here with more compression bigger cams on here that didn't go as fast as we did with this pump gas piece I knew some one personally who built a 434 with 18's it went a whole 10.30's keep in mind this car was not a geared up 8" converter unmuffled lite wieght car it was a muffled up off the foot brake 3400# no tuning first time out with traction issues the plugs were dead white even after driving it down the return Rd to the pits so there was more mph and et in it nothin special Ohio crank short block 4,500 delivered and off the shelf afrs and a baby 629" on a 109 cam speced out by lsm so yeah I think it ran pretty good on 92 Wawa pisswater at 28 degrees total back to back at 180 temp we made 12 passes that day at an Atco rental true street car alot of people have warped interpertation of what a streetcar is!
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

mark_follweiler wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 pm pretty lame Paul....
Yes it was, but the thread was quickly derailed before I jumped in. I struggled to get idea that OP was after when first posted. It seemed he wanted reassurance that his engine was better than another. Being that they were not apples to apples and many details for each vehicle as well as the weather each was run in were left out there was little to base off of. Soon after his post others were sharing their builds (which I learned long ago there will always be somebody making more power than me, and I am OK with that) and the thread went sideways quick. I thought I would be a little silly about it (even though it is a true story).

I struggle to see the main issue. The high compression motor may have a valvetrain with cam profiles that will last till the end of time. As such it may be making less power than it potentially could, but the owner may be just happy with it. Good luck to all with their powerplants and may they all beat their opponents like rented mules.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
mark_follweiler

oh it was domed from the beginning....
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Well said the point of the thread was that the 434 hi comp only went faster because of wieght and converter thus far he weak mph I'm not say are 434 was a he greatest just that if u match the wieght the pump gas motor I think would have gone faster all else being equal add 600# to a 9.6 and a 4000 stall and leave on the foot break than what would he muster up I'll take the pump gas engine all day a realistic street car that can drive anywhere
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Well, if your happy going slower with a realistic street car you can drive everywhere what else do you want? A NHRA Prostock is faster than you also, are you going to try justify your car being slower than that because of the EFI, fuel difference, less weight, bigger tires...ect. If you have a beef with this other guy, cut some weight off your car, build the converter and trans to better suit racing then call him out and trailer his ass...simple. Do it on 92 Wawa fuel then you have bragging rights. If not just enjoy driving to car shows and having fun racing on the weekends. There is always someone faster, lighter, spent more...just the way the world is.
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

The whole point is to be streetable why would I up the comp, gut out the car, and put a 5000 stall in it then it would be a run of the mill race car I enjoy driving my car on the street on 2.50 per gallon fuel not overheating running and alternator and not running a 8" 5000 stall on the street there's no question my motor makes more power if he added 600# to his car he in no way shape or form would beat me and I haven't made my best pass yet that was first time out I fully intend to run at least 9.70 on pump gas with my nos converter and gears combo I would like to see what his car runs on the foot brake with a 4000 stall and no dominator his mph proves the motors only et is because of the wieght the pump gas engine clearly makes more HP it will never be the fastest I agree but I enjoy driving to the track which in my case is an hr plus make my lo 10.'sec passes and drive home
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

cgarb wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm Well, if your happy going slower with a realistic street car you can drive everywhere what else do you want? A NHRA Prostock is faster than you also, are you going to try justify your car being slower than that because of the EFI, fuel difference, less weight, bigger tires...ect. If you have a beef with this other guy, cut some weight off your car, build the converter and trans to better suit racing then call him out and trailer his ass...simple. Do it on 92 Wawa fuel then you have bragging rights. If not just enjoy driving to car shows and having fun racing on the weekends. There is always someone faster, lighter, spent more...just the way the world is.
Ok, I'm an idiot. Been following this thread.

WTH is Wawa fuel? Never heard of it.
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Lol It's like a 7/11 in new jersey they scattered franchise bargain basement gas basically Pisswater gas etown and Atco my home tracks
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

rocketracer380 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:33 am Lol It's like a 7/11 in new jersey they scattered franchise bargain basement gas basically Pisswater gas etown and Atco my home tracks
Well alright. I thought maybe it was some super trick shit I'd never heard of. Just old pump piss.