Bronze liner question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Xlxbhorsepower
Bronze liner question

Post by Xlxbhorsepower »

Can somebody help me understand the difference of the Kline and Goodson liner?

I have always used the 7mm liners from Goodson, they say ‘Classic S700’ on the OD wall. The Kline say 1850... everything is the same except the Kline is a smooth wall on ID and the Goodson have little dimples on ID.

What is everyone’s preference? Smooth wall ID or Dimples?

Thanks for your help

Chad
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Bronze liner question

Post by modok »

IMO the k-line are nicer material to work with.
I don't know if there is any difference how they run, both good enough apparently.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Xlxbhorsepower wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 pm Can somebody help me understand the difference of the Kline and Goodson liner?

I have always used the 7mm liners from Goodson, they say ‘Classic S700’ on the OD wall. The Kline say 1850... everything is the same except the Kline is a smooth wall on ID and the Goodson have little dimples on ID.

What is everyone’s preference? Smooth wall ID or Dimples?

Thanks for your help

Chad
There is a few different 7mm liners from K-line as they have different minimum finished ID sizes.
They do offer liners in both smooth wall and spiraled but the smooth wall are being phased out and at this time there is only a few sizes available.
I prefer the smooth wall liners for finish honing to size but there are some that are spiraled that when honed after broaching dam near have all the spiraling gone.

K-Line offers a wider size range for common valve stem sizes like sm blk chevy stuff, and if the right minimum finished ID size is used combined with the right size broach most time I only have a few 10th's to hone out.

I found broaching balls available in 2 10th's increment sizes from bearing ball suppliers in both HSS and carbide and at a price point where buying 5 of each size made them between $3 for HSS and $12-$15 each for carbide. thus allowing the guides to be sized perfectly where I wanted them not having to settle for much larger by .0005 of too tight making honing a set of guides an all day job.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Xlxbhorsepower

Post by Xlxbhorsepower »

Thank you for the insight and the information. I am using these on 7mm application I do alot of and Goodson and Cylinder Head Supply both offer the .277 and .278 carbide broach ball but nothing in-between. The .278 is good for exhaust but IMO to loose on the intake side so I've been running the .277 thru intakes and then honing .0005.

Am I understanding you have a source for broach balls in different than .001 sizes? This could safe a ton of time honing.

Thanks again for the help

Chad
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

I'm a bigger fan of the Rapid Diamondback Liners.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The boring tool has a lot to do with the liner sizing. K-Line uses a different size of boring tools then the rapid tooling.
The difference in some cases is only .002-.003 but to the liner finished size can be either too loose or too tight.
Now either liner will be a good choice for quality as the rapid liners were around 1st but the broach tooling for finished size also depends on the liner thickness but K-Line has the best choices for liners hands down
As an example the choices for 7mm liners K-Line has 7mm liners listed from .273 minimum finished size to .281 min.finished size all using a boring tool that has a single hole size of .3095". the other thing is the selection of broach's is from .274 .275 .276 .2765 .277 .278 .279 .280 in their hard chromed long broach's.
Carbide sizing balls can be had in an infinite sizing options that are .0002 up or down from both K-Line and others or you can get them from other suppliers that make balls for other applications.Such as bearing balls can be had from some in .0001 sizes making the perfect guide size for any job easier then most can believe.

Search for bearing balls and you will see many suppliers and at less then $5 per ball it will make you wonder how you got along with out them.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Xlxbhorsepower

Post by Xlxbhorsepower »

Thank you for your time and explaination. I will search out the bearing balls and get some different sizes ordered.

This site offers years knowledge and experience, I appreciate the time everyone puts into replying and sharing this information.