Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

Post by cv67 »

Which holes do I need to plug or? To make these work on a Gen 1 block?

These are off the 92-96 vette

any diagrams to point me in the right direction?

intake bolts need to be done also?
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

Post by cv67 »

duet those beenie caps off and post
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

pdq67 here...............

I am in on this one also!!

Not to hi-jack, BUT......

Speaking of holes, would somebody post up a picture showing, "how/where", I need to drill my EQ 50 cc chamber sized 2.02"/1.60" valve heads for use on my 400 SBC block for my 3" stroked 325" engine.. "Or do I???" It's been a while since I looked at them is all here so please bear with the ol' man...

pdq67
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

I run an LT1 in my NHRA Super Stock car, on a Bow Tie block. I have pictures in my phone here. But, I am very old, thus am not sure how to put pictures from my phone here. If somebody wants to email me, I can put them in my reply.
Ed-wright@sbcglobal.net

Or, tell me how to put them up here.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

you arent old ed. you are still looking pretty good driving that superstock firebird
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Tp post pictures from your phone, first move the pictures from the phone to the computer.
use your USB cable for this. The raw phone pictures are too big and the format is wrong for posting.
So you can fix all that and more using this simple free picture graphics program.
free download small and simple but very useful for this stuff and more.

IRFANVIEW www.irfanview.com With the program you can re- size your phone pics to a reasonable display size 640x 480 or there abouts and re save as a JPEG file .JPG add a bit of compression to make the file small file size 50K to 120K Kibytes Kib instead of HUGE megabyte sized files..
You can also correct contrast brightness, upside down pics etc etc in the program.
Now its ready to post. Follow the instructions and attachment tabs when making your forum post.
Remember the raw phone digital pics are way too BIG and often not saved a s a JPEG file.
This is how you fix them up to be ready and internet forum friendly.
Otherwise you suck up everyones data plan with you huge pictures.
640x480 is plenty plenty big. Standard JPEG compression is 85% ( menu choice when you re-save the picture)
You can increase that to 40% and get a much smaller picture thats still very sharp. ( faster to upload, faster to view, uses up less data.

Posting HUGE raw digital pictures is like typing a whole post in ALL CAPS.....

Irfanview is like a swiss army knife for your phone and computer pictures.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You will also find this " TWO PANE" side by side style file manager invaluable for managing all your computer files.
It is like the original "Norton Comander" Total Commander https://www.ghisler.com it is free and small too. Is the swiss army knife of PC file management. For us old guys.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Or, if somebody wants the pictures, just email me.
SS/JA 4156
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

sent you an email
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

The particular heads and block I compared, it would have taken welding some patch pieces in at the corners since the holes in the heads overlapped the outside of the block.

The best file manager is Konqueror. It requires the KDEbase packages if you're not running some other window manager. There's even a port to Weiners.

You can use a 400 gasket to locate the steam holes. However, GM angled one row at 30 degrees or so, and if you drill straight in on a 461 casting, you won't reach water for a looong way.

Irfanview is good stuff.

Don't know anything about those fancy phones, mine just does low-quality voice. It doesn't even "text", much less have a camera.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

So much to do, so little time...
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I never understood why the "upper" row of "steam holes" was needed. The siamese cylinders prevent steam created on the lower side of the cylinders to escape. So the lower row of holes I understand. Any steam created on the upper side of the siamese cylinders could bubble-up through the core holes higher in the block decks. Those holes already exist.

Drilling the lower row seems important. Drilling the upper row doesn't--unless someone can explain why they're needed.

(Chevy said that none of the steam holes were needed...if the engine wasn't to be run lower than 3000 rpm. Apparently, there's enough coolant motion above 3K that either the steam didn't form, or it was swept away through other coolant openings. Of course, this also assumes a belt-driven water pump where the water pump speed is related to engine RPM; and--I suppose--relatively stock pulley ratios.)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This is a lot more work, bother and cost than it is worth. Sell the LT-1 heads to someone with a Gen II sbc block to fund Much Better Gen I SBC compatible aluminum heads.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Only reason I use them is the NHRA Super Stock rules. Hard the keep the thin LT1 blocks sealed up, thus the BowTie blocks.
SS/JA 4156
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

IMG_20170928_53385.jpg
I have an android based samsung phone, download this app from Playstore then you use the app to resize the photos. Then where you reply on ST click on Add Files below the reply box and go to Files , Device storage, Photo resizer then select the photo you want to add
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig.