Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

Post by pamotorman »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 pm I never understood why the "upper" row of "steam holes" was needed. The siamese cylinders prevent steam created on the lower side of the cylinders to escape. So the lower row of holes I understand. Any steam created on the upper side of the siamese cylinders could bubble-up through the core holes higher in the block decks. Those holes already exist.

Drilling the lower row seems important. Drilling the upper row doesn't--unless someone can explain why they're needed.

(Chevy said that none of the steam holes were needed...if the engine wasn't to be run lower than 3000 rpm. Apparently, there's enough coolant motion above 3K that either the steam didn't form, or it was swept away through other coolant openings. Of course, this also assumes a belt-driven water pump where the water pump speed is related to engine RPM; and--I suppose--relatively stock pulley ratios.)
. on siamese NASCAR blocks they drilled thru outside water jacket wall of the block so you can drill a .063 diameter hole near the top between the cylinders to allow the water to circulate at the top of the block to cool the head gasket area between cylinders.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: Converting LTx reverse flow heads to work on Gen 1

Post by cv67 »

Ed got your email thanks for taking the time out, think Im gonna sell all of the ltx stuff I have...3 sets of heads multiple intakes.