LS3 Carbed build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am

I have a complete LS3 core laying around. I've held on to it figuring there will be a point when my supercharged LS3 Camaro's stock shortblock will give up on me.

I have a friend that runs a carbed(methanol) LS in his bracket car. His motor is tired, and he wants to replace it or fix it. I'm thinking about building an engine for him with this core(or to keep as a dyno mule) :D What do you guys think it could make? I want to use as many factory parts as possible(crank, rods, valves, rockers etc.) Any ideas or guesses?


4.070 x 3.622
14:1 Compression
Hydraulic Roller (under .700 lift)
LS3 heads
Super Victor Intake

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by Frankshaft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm

CGT wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am
I have a complete LS3 core laying around. I've held on to it figuring there will be a point when my supercharged LS3 Camaro's stock shortblock will give up on me.

I have a friend that runs a carbed(methanol) LS in his bracket car. His motor is tired, and he wants to replace it or fix it. I'm thinking about building an engine for him with this core(or to keep as a dyno mule) :D What do you guys think it could make? I want to use as many factory parts as possible(crank, rods, valves, rockers etc.) Any ideas or guesses?




4.070 x 3.622
14:1 Compression
Hydraulic Roller (under .700 lift)
LS3 heads
Super Victor Intake
700+

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Frankshaft wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm
CGT wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am
I have a complete LS3 core laying around. I've held on to it figuring there will be a point when my supercharged LS3 Camaro's stock shortblock will give up on me.

I have a friend that runs a carbed(methanol) LS in his bracket car. His motor is tired, and he wants to replace it or fix it. I'm thinking about building an engine for him with this core(or to keep as a dyno mule) :D What do you guys think it could make? I want to use as many factory parts as possible(crank, rods, valves, rockers etc.) Any ideas or guesses?




4.070 x 3.622
14:1 Compression
Hydraulic Roller (under .700 lift)
LS3 heads
Super Victor Intake
700+
Really? I was thinking quite a bit less than that.

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by Frankshaft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm

I guess it all depends. But it is possible. 650 real easy.

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Frankshaft wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm
I guess it all depends. But it is possible. 650 real easy.
Yeah i was kinda thinking 650. But I honestly dont know what to expect. Any tips or ideas on anything Frankshaft? Valve events, porting, valve job?

Thanks
*

autogear
Pro
Pro
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:03 am

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by autogear » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Fill out a cam request for Jones Cams?

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 am

No more biters?

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by Frankshaft » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:48 am

They respond to less intake duration, big spreads on ex, and WIDE lobe seps. like out to 118. Being a carb and 14:1 on methanol, could throw a monkey wrench in that, never ran one with that combo.

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 am

Frankshaft wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:48 am
They respond to less intake duration, big spreads on ex, and WIDE lobe seps. like out to 118. Being a carb and 14:1 on methanol, could throw a monkey wrench in that, never ran one with that combo.
Thanks. I'm looking at COMP CAMS LOBE#13065 Intake #3447 Exhaust on 111 or 112 currently. Have you messed with the heads much?

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by randy331 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 pm

What do the LS engine builders think of the GM 88958675 intake for LS ?
Or what other one should I look at ?

Got 6.0 that I'm doing that will get a single plane and carb.

4.030 bore" x 4" stroke, 10.5-1 comp- ported 243 casting heads, 243-258 @ .050" Comp Hyd roller. Mahle flat tops with 1mm 1mm 2mm rings.

How much power should I expect from this one ?

Hope * don't mind me posting this LS on here too ?? :D

Randy

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 pm

randy331 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 pm
What do the LS engine builders think of the GM 88958675 intake for LS ?
Or what other one should I look at ?

Got 6.0 that I'm doing that will get a single plane and carb.

4.030 bore" x 4" stroke, 10.5-1 comp- ported 243 casting heads, 243-258 @ .050" Comp Hyd roller. Mahle flat tops with 1mm 1mm 2mm rings.

How much power should I expect from this one ?

Hope * don't mind me posting this LS on here too ?? :D

Randy
Id guess 625hp and 560 torque on yours but who knows.

I believe the 88958675 is the same as Edelbrock 28097. But I can find any published information on sizes for any of the LS carbed intakes.

I dont know if i should do the Victor Jr or Super Victor on mine, 4150 or 4500. Anyone know anything about any of these manifolds?

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 am

Resized_20160609_102625.jpeg
Would it be worth offset doweling the cylinder head over?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A_VAS
Member
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by A_VAS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm

what bore you sitting on there? 4.070 ?
too lazy to make power w/o boost

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by CGT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

A_VAS wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm
what bore you sitting on there? 4.070 ?
Thats 4.005 pictured. I will be using a 4.070.

JodyB
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by JodyB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Dual 4 hi-ram:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply