late model ford head - so what heck is this?????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

4vpc
Pro
Pro
Re: late model ford head - so what heck is this?????

Post by 4vpc »

MadBill wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:57 pm Regardless of the cause, the accepted cure appears to be adding port injection to the mix. :-k
Best of both worlds, don't knock it.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
JodyB
Pro
Pro
Re: so what heck is this?????

Post by JodyB »

peejay wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm
englertracing wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 pm That there is a ski jump. A really big one. They put that there to encourage tumble. It forces all of the flow out of the long side. I've seen that before it was actually posted on here. But it was probably 1/3 that pronounced.

I wonder how much horsepower that is robbing and I wonder how much low RPM Power it's adding. I also wonder how much that helps with emissions. If that was mine I don't know if I would be able to keep my grinder away from it.
The biggest problem the automakers face is not being able to make peak power, it's being able to be the most efficient at making zero to about 30hp. That is where the engines spend the majority of their time and that is where you need to focus in order to get good economy and emissions.
This.
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

a couple of more things

this head was a ford head as at first i thought it was some sort of Chrysler but it was marked FOMOCO on the back of the head although it might be made by Mazda for ford????
gm ford Chrysler are all in bed with the imports...

also had a very late model Lexus 4 val dohc head in the other day that the intake ports were filled so bad that the car came in misfire code .. this was a new car with 28000 miles on it...

I think that if i paid that much for a Lexus and at 28000 miles the engine had to be pulled and the heads taken off for port cleaning I would not be a very happy Lexus owner..

unfortunately I didn't have the exhaust valves out to look at the exhaust port and the heads came in without the cams so I couldn't check the lift..
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

When Ford owned Mazda and Volvo, they worked it out so Volvo developed the chassis, Mazda developed the four cylinder engines, and Ford did the V6 engines. All Ford fours were axed, all Mazda sixes were axed, and Ford cars looked extremely Swedish under the skin.

Things are a little weird now that all three companies have split. Mazda still has rights to build the Duratec/MZR engine, as do Ford, but they are sort of diverging developmentally. I do understand that there is still some interchange so you can use some parts from, say, the 2.3l Mustang/Focus RS engine in an old Mazdaspeed6, but there's also a lot of stuff that isn't interchangeable.