heads and intake for 427 sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: heads and intake for 427 sbc

Post by cjperformance »

randy331 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 pm Funny how on a performance forum, someone asks about improving their power level to just 1.47 HP/cube and improving the drivability along with it and it ends up,... " you can't do it without a blower " you'll need individual runners " " tunnel ram is only way "..... etc. etc, when what he's asking to achieve is already being done without the magic of tunnel rams, blowers etc.

How many really think 600+ HP out of a street able 427 cube is out of reach ?

Randy
Randy, i did not suggest a blower BUT yes (i think) i was first to suggest IR.
The customer is asking for more HP up top and better driveability around 2Krpm, neither are being achieved now.
I well know 650+ streetable HP out of 427ci NA single 4barrel carb is easily possible BUT when also asked for a real smooth ride at 2Krpm cruising in OD stick shift ,, yeah it gets tough!, am I wrong?
Craig.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

What's the total valve lift and ratio and brand of his rocker arms?
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

right now it has jesel sportsman shaft rockers 1.6 int 1.5 exh. From memory the lift is right around 6.30
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I'm wondering if pulling about 5 degrees of duration at .050 from both intake and exhaust, doing 50* seats on the intakes and stepping up to 1.7/1.6 rockers would do the trick :-k

Edit: Also, being solid-roller, you can get pretty aggressive with the duration at .200 and lobe lift and that will help make up for your reduction in .050 duration and the lower-lift flow from the steeper seats. The 1.7 rockers and added lobe lift will help get the steeper seats up in the lift range where they start to shine.

At least that's what I'm a thinkin'...
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

This is a pure Street engine so durability is a main concern. especially lifter durability. it has isky red zones in it now. Doing what you said would definitely help performance
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

cjperformance wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 am
randy331 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 pm Funny how on a performance forum, someone asks about improving their power level to just 1.47 HP/cube and improving the drivability along with it and it ends up,... " you can't do it without a blower " you'll need individual runners " " tunnel ram is only way "..... etc. etc, when what he's asking to achieve is already being done without the magic of tunnel rams, blowers etc.

Randy
Randy, i did not suggest a blower BUT yes (i think) i was first to suggest IR.
The customer is asking for more HP up top and better driveability around 2Krpm, neither are being achieved now.
I well know 650+ streetable HP out of 427ci NA single 4barrel carb is easily possible BUT when also asked for a real smooth ride at 2Krpm cruising in OD stick shift ,, yeah it gets tough!, am I wrong?
I agree they are opposing goals, I just don't think they are un obtainable together.

It's only peaking at 6k now. Should be able to raise peak to 6500 with induction and ex track improvements alone.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

RevTheory wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 am I'm wondering if pulling about 5 degrees of duration at .050 from both intake and exhaust, doing 50* seats on the intakes
WHAT ??? REVTheory is suggesting step seats ?? :D

Randy
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Lol! Notice I asked about his valve lift first. But yeah, it appears to make sense in this application.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

gnicholson wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am This is a pure Street engine so durability is a main concern. especially lifter durability. it has isky red zones in it now. Doing what you said would definitely help performance
Bullet Cams has some lobes that appear to be fairly gentle off the seat but get with the program by .200. They also have some that look like they open the valve with a hammer.

It might be worth a phone call.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Going durable 650hp in a street 427 sbc I'll suggest a centrifugal blower or turbos all day long. Nice thing about pressurized engines is that you can run a very nice and mellow valvetrain. Refresh with a new set of pistons that puts you 8:1 compression and you're good to go.

I don't care what the magazines say, 650 horse in a 427 small block is not easy to get tamed down for a o/d cruise in a N/A configuration.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Randy
Supercharging this engine is a realistic solution. And at a fraction of the price. The car will go faster, drive better, and last longer. This is a street car.

Get your head out of the sand.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Which is a moot point as the customer doesn't want one.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I think as this supercharger trend is evolving here on speedtalk.

The need for a forced induction category may be in order. Recommending superchargers in threads like this is absurd, and I'm not supercharger hater, I actually think their cool and own a supercharged car.

But the context of this thread(and many others) makes supercharger recommendations completely irrelevant and senseless.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

RevTheory wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am Which is a moot point as the customer doesn't want one.
Exactly ! Some people enjoy learning and understanding how to make power NA.
CGT wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am I think as this supercharger trend is evolving here on speedtalk.

The need for a forced induction category may be in order. Recommending superchargers in threads like this is absurd, and I'm not supercharger hater, I actually think their cool and own a supercharged car.

But the context of this thread(and many others) makes supercharger recommendations completely irrelevant and senseless.
Exactly again !

So now,... does anyone have any useful info to suggest for the OP and HIS stated goals ?

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I think 650 is a "farely" achievable goal. I've seen it done with AFR ootb heads a couple times. But both of those engines would have trouble being pulled down to 2000rpm in a manual transmission car.

I think decide whats the most important of the two goals, and gravitate towards that more, or average the compromises. 650 perfectly streetable horsepower can be done but it won't happen on accident or just ordering parts from jegs. Shoot for 600hp and driveability, if you exceed it pat yourself on the back.