Super stock hp level?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by peejay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Frankshaft wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm
To add to the above, a 305 combo with 1.84 intake, 1.5 ex valves, 8.8:1 compression, a ported Victor Jr, and a legal q-jet, 540hp range
What.

hpetew
New Member
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by hpetew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 pm

I remember a little blurb in a car mag years ago about a SS racer that installed a new intake valve in one cylinder and didn't cc it. Went out set a new national record and then flunked tech because of that one cylinder.

JohnsnsFord2@aol.com
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

hpetew wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 pm
I remember a little blurb in a car mag years ago about a SS racer that installed a new intake valve in one cylinder and didn't cc it. Went out set a new national record and then flunked tech because of that one cylinder.
think that was a stocker.....
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Zmechanic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm

peejay wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm
Frankshaft wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm
To add to the above, a 305 combo with 1.84 intake, 1.5 ex valves, 8.8:1 compression, a ported Victor Jr, and a legal q-jet, 540hp range
What.
:lol:

Frankshaft
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Frankshaft » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 pm

peejay wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm
Frankshaft wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm
To add to the above, a 305 combo with 1.84 intake, 1.5 ex valves, 8.8:1 compression, a ported Victor Jr, and a legal q-jet, 540hp range
What.

???? what what? 79 Malibu SSLA and also Gt. It runs mid 10's at 3500 lbs. Legal 305 combo. To give an example. Heads flow 240 intake and 200 ex. The title is Super Stock hp level. I know the actual question was 350 combos, but since 2 or 3 guys said what they are making, I figured I would add to the thread, and mention a 305 combo. Its at least related to the original thread, and not talking about electric cars. Speaking of, does anyone know what a Chevy Volt super stocker runs? I suppose it would be SS/V.

Travis Horton
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 pm
Location: Pittsburg, KS

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Travis Horton » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 pm

A friend of mine ran GT/MA with a 350/ 2bbl combo. Record holder a few times that ran 10.50's at 123mph. A little over 500hp.

1972ho
Expert
Expert
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by 1972ho » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am

I witnessed a dyno secession of superstock 327 Chevy that ran in a 1967 Nova back in 1995 or so make 590 or so and later I saw the car run in the high 9’s I even saw the pistons that went in this motor they looked like Swiss cheese.I would think by now the 327 is over 600 hp now.

Frankshaft
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Frankshaft » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 pm

1972ho wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am
I witnessed a dyno secession of superstock 327 Chevy that ran in a 1967 Nova back in 1995 or so make 590 or so and later I saw the car run in the high 9’s I even saw the pistons that went in this motor they looked like Swiss cheese.I would think by now the 327 is over 600 hp now.
Which class did it run in? Anyhow, not saying it didn't make 590, but, different dyno, different numbers. Also, it doesn't sound like it was legal. There are very strict rules governing pistons. Swiss cheesing them isn't allowed

1972ho
Expert
Expert
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by 1972ho » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 pm

If I remember right it was SS/FA or GA.

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am
Location: Anthem / Phoenix Arizona

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Jeff Lee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:26 pm

You can do almost anything you want on a SS piston as long as the crown resembles NHRA specs (“flat w/ notches, .250” dome, etc). If you can make it seal with no skirts I suppose that would be legal.

I highly suggest the OP (and everybody else with an interest in S/SS for that matter) to this site. It has all weight breaks, tech data, etc that will guide you in trying to evaluate different combos or just see what your competition has.

http://www.classracerinfo.com

Neither Stock or Super Stock is a bracket class! Bracket racers don’t have rules regarding required engine specs, don’t have a minimum ET requirement associated with a minimum or maximum weight assignment, are not subject to an engine teardown, are not subject to wheelbase verification, do not have fuel requirements, etc., etc. And then there’s the holly grail of the two classes; running a like designated competitor in a heads up format just like Pro Stock or Funny car. Do S/SS racers dial in? Yes. But only when a different class designation is in the other lane. If you can’t run on or below your assigned index, you will be dialed in at your index. If your .20 slower, good luck making it to the next round.
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams

82c10step
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm
Location: Montoursville, PA

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by 82c10step » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Lots of speculation, but I doubt you'll get the truth :---)

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Truckedup » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 am

How much power did these same engines make in "same" class back in the 60-70's?
World's fastest stock frame 650 cc push rod gas land speed racing bike...

tenxal
Pro
Pro
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by tenxal » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 am

Truckedup wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 am
How much power did these same engines make in "same" class back in the 60-70's?
Hard to say as dyno testing back then wasn't done except by a few. Now, dynoing is more available and almost standard procedure for any competitive Stock or Super Stock effort.

peejay
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by peejay » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:41 am

Frankshaft wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 pm
peejay wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm
Frankshaft wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm
To add to the above, a 305 combo with 1.84 intake, 1.5 ex valves, 8.8:1 compression, a ported Victor Jr, and a legal q-jet, 540hp range
What.

???? what what?
My mind is blown, that's what! When I think stock 305, I think embarassment of an engine!

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Truckedup » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:04 am

tenxal wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 am
Truckedup wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 am
How much power did these same engines make in "same" class back in the 60-70's?
Hard to say as dyno testing back then wasn't done except by a few. Now, dynoing is more available and almost standard procedure for any competitive Stock or Super Stock effort.
Maybe...Let's take Jenkins first 1966 Chevy 2 327/350 in A/S......I believe he was running high to mid 11's back then? Figuring the car weight and traction that might be around 425-450HP?
World's fastest stock frame 650 cc push rod gas land speed racing bike...

Post Reply