Super stock hp level?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Re: Super stock hp level?

Post by Jeff Lee »

I brokered a deal on a really, really! nice 1970 Mach 1 from a friend here in Arizona. It is just a shell but rust & damage free. He is passionate about building either an AMC or the Boss 302. But who knows if he can even find the time. His cam company has really gone to the next level after acquiring that mega-dollar CNC cam grinder from GM.
Possible that next year will see a start. Personally, the Boss 302 get’s me pretty excited. But he does have a small collection of AMC blocks and heads he has acquired relatively cheaply.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Steve.k wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 pm Yes i guess the aa heads would be on cj. Open chamber. Had a stock e guy looking in my spares for aa.
As you probably know the AA heads came in large and small valve versions. I spent a lot of time working on a set of small valve heads thinking that Fords plunge cut under the intake could be improved on. Ended up with a really trick set of big valve heads that didn't perform any better than regular big valve heads.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Monty we found the small valve head outflowed all the others in stock form. They also responded well to minor bowl work for non ss use. However thats all we did with the smaller valve. The big valve aa head we used as a test head as it was wrecked on one hole. We did a seat mod and the results were phenomenal. We did the exact same mod to a doae closed chamber and a lot more work to get to same level.Im guessing the gains with the compact chamber offset the flow difference but it was very interesting to see. I Did not expect the small valve head to flow as well as it did.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

My SS/J Mustang went thru tear down with Bray & Gillum's SS/F. Down a couple stalls was the Kuntz & Kraft stocker. They were tossed for having AA heads with small valves. NHRA later made an admendment to the build sheet to allow them.
Out of 6 cars that went thru tear down that night, five were Fords, which included both Fords in SS.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

So Monty you use the open chamber head also? Do you run into detonation trouble as compression gets up on those or is that not true? I've seen that head combo up to about 10.5 with no deto issues. We definitely see bigger flow with oc head over closed
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm So Monty you use the open chamber head also? Do you run into detonation trouble as compression gets up on those or is that not true? I've seen that head combo up to about 10.5 with no deto issues. We definitely see bigger flow with oc head over closed
My SS/J car was the 280hp CJ engine. It had the open chamber heads. Compression came out (if I recall correctly) at 9.35:1. i ran VP c-12. Timing was at 50°, never any sign of detonation.
I previously ran the 285 hp combo. In blueprint specs it came out over 11:1. Was just getting it sorted out when NHRA factored it again. Went with the OC heads so I could still stay in J. The low compression engine seemed just as strong.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Monty, are you putting the car back together to race again? The Midwest Class Racers deal in your area is the best Stock & Super Stock series in the nation.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks Monty. I was thinking about cutting .040-.060 off oc heads get chamber in 68cc range then do our usual tricks. The shrouding seems way less on those, and with the extra flow see how it works.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

tenxal wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 pm Monty, are you putting the car back together to race again? The Midwest Class Racers deal in your area is the best Stock & Super Stock series in the nation.
The Mustang has been gone for some time. Think the car is in Minnesota running as a BBF bracket racer. Built a GT/EA Camaro that I don't have time to run.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 pm Thanks Monty. I was thinking about cutting .040-.060 off oc heads get chamber in 68cc range then do our usual tricks. The shrouding seems way less on those, and with the extra flow see how it works.
Unless you "post" the chambers, think milling that much will further weaken those heads to the point head gaskets may be a problem.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

cspeier wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm I had a customer dyno a 350/300hp with a set of Dart legal heads and it made 610hp in Augusta Kansas.
And, if that is the Augusta Kansas dyno mine has beeen on, that thing is stingy. 610 on that one is very good.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Unless you "post" the chambers, think milling that much will further weaken those heads to the point head gaskets may be a problem.
Monty you figure to narrow between cylinders? I'm getting well over .300 on decks on the set here.The old p/s heads i have are posted, those are boss 302 heads and those chambers are 49cc.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I have a set of AA heads milled down below thumb print and don’t seem to have any gasket sealing problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

What does cc end up on those.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

With the dot on the intake flange cut in half around 244 cc and combustion chamber 68 cc or so.