Engine Masters' Air Filter Test

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine Masters' Air Filter Test

Post by cjperformance »

BOOT wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm That's why they did the salad bowl.

I've always herd carbs like air from the side over the bleeds and not the top but their results shows the opposite.
Got to agree here, and i thought because any time i have tried a breathable top filter and it goes backward that this just reinforced my thoughts. I know that is only one test so is not the gospel but im about to try the tape trick on a 14x4 k&n with breathable top on a 454 and see what happens. I may even go raid the cupboards for salad bowl too! :lol:
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

plovett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm In a car the "top flow" path may not work well if the hood is 1/8" over the lid. I don't know.
Yes another thing that would have been interesting on the top fed stuff woul have been to have say a 4' square sheet held above the top feed to see at what height the airflow really suffers at.
Craig.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I've always herd carbs like air from the side over the bleeds and not the top but their results shows the opposite.
Got to agree here, and i thought because any time i have tried a breathable top filter and it goes backward that this just reinforced my thoughts. I know that is only one test so is not the gospel but im about to try the tape trick on a 14x4 k&n with breathable top on a 454 and see what happens. I may even go raid the cupboards for salad bowl too! :lol:

I'd like to see the test of taping off the filter and using just the lid.

In car may be different than the dyno.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm
plovett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm In a car the "top flow" path may not work well if the hood is 1/8" over the lid. I don't know.
Yes another thing that would have been interesting on the top fed stuff woul have been to have say a 4' square sheet held above the top feed to see at what height the airflow really suffers at.
Yes, that would be a great test for another episode. Dyno conditions vs. in-car conditions. I like it!
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

statsystems wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I'd like to see the test of taping off the filter and using just the lid.

In car may be different than the dyno.
That's what they did. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

My theory is that given an adequate size cylindrical filter, adding the X-Stream top produces turbulent intersecting flows that affects metering and distribution. If the normal filter is badly undersized and/or the case poorly designed, the filter top could produce significant gains because there isn't much lateral flow to tangle with. At the opposite extreme, say a 16" x 4" K&N, there may be so little restriction that hardly any air flows through the lid and so it does no harm. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 pm

My theory is that given an adequate size cylindrical filter, adding the X-Stream top produces turbulent intersecting flows that affects metering and distribution. If the normal filter is badly undersized and/or the case poorly designed, the filter top could produce significant gains because there isn't much lateral flow to tangle with. At the opposite extreme, say a 16" x 4" K&N, there may be so little restriction that hardly any air flows through the lid and so it does no harm. :-k
Im with you on that train of thought.
Would also be interesting to see how shallow the 'salad bowl' can get (lid getting closer to carb top) before hp is affected
Craig.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

englertracing wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 am Image
Tested everyone of those on the flowbench AND the dyno. Some surprising results. The raised 2" center section flowed less than the best which was the standard open by quite a bit. It was a surprise when the 2" raised made the same power as the best flowing insert. The 4 hole was a disaster all the way around in my case. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Something else to think about/try

Back when I was racing shifterkarts professionally (2 stroke 125cc), one of the tracks had a strict decibal limit. Those engines have a lot of intake noise. We made a shroud to go around the long tubular k&n air filter. The shroud was a 2 gallon bucket lined with sound deadening foam. On the chassis dyno, the engine picked up power across the entire power band, as much as 2hp (engine makes around 44 whp) in the midrange before the hp peak. We hypothesized that damping the sound pulses from the intake was having an effect. I wonder if the same principle would apply to a big multi cylinder 4 stroke?
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Another variation of the filter lid that would have been interesting to test would be to take the open element filter with the filter lid but then put a solid lid over the top of the filter lid. That would help show weather or not the power loss was caused by air coming through the filter lid interfering with the air coming through the regular element or simply caused by the convoluted shape of the underside of the filter top.
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

True story. 1974, just back from Germany and bought my 70 SS 396/402 El Camino from a High School friend. There was NO air filter so my first stop was the parts store. I put on an aftermarket 14 X 2 filter assy. Instantly I lost 2K RPM. Took of the air filter and it ran fine. Since the SS hood had lots of clearance I bought a second 14 X 2 filter, went home and cut a piece of all-thread and screwed it in, stacking the two filters.

Cured!

Filter lid has been rubbing the hood ever since.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

englertracing wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 am..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Jagdpanzer »

Wonder how the Stellings air filters from back in the day would have stacked up against the best of these.

Ran one on my 69 Z28 Camaro that I bought new and really liked the look and performance.
Haven't seen them around for quite awhile.
Anybody know what ever happened to them?
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I wonder if it would be like the 'fly eyes' triangle cleaner?
(not very good for it)

Did it use a foam filter?
I had one like that but not sure what the name was.

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com