PRI...who's going?

Open

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
j-c-c
Member
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by j-c-c » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Rick Finsta wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8263
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by CamKing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am

j-c-c wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Rick Finsta wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8263
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by CamKing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 am

roc wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 pm
Rick Finsta wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm
I've gotta be careful - I want to buy a cam from Mike next year!
Me too! Seriously!

I met/talked with Mike at PRI last year, he was a fine guy. He may have realized that I'm a hobbyist but I helped him making time passing faster when foot traffic was low (and I didn't have anyone behind me waiting for his turn). Win-win.
I'm happy to talk to anyone, as long as I have the time. 99% of the people are patient, and understanding when I ask to excused for a second to answer someone else questions. It's that 1% that.........
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by Zmechanic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

CamKing wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
Ow, ow, ow... Instant headache. #-o

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 am

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by statsystems » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

CamKing wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
j-c-c wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Rick Finsta wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.

I guess if she's paying full retail she can use them for what she wants.

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8263
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by CamKing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 pm

statsystems wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am
CamKing wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
j-c-c wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm


Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.

I guess if she's paying full retail she can use them for what she wants.
Oh no, she wanted scrap cams.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

BLstangin
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by BLstangin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm

I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am. I guess I just know who not to talk to. I guess building 4-5 motors year and a couple race car chassis that have won track championships make me a hobbist. I guess my tax id number means nothing and my 4700 square foot building that I run a shop out of after my 45 hour a week job mean nothing because I don't do enough business?? I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop but I guess just wanting one makes me a nobody that shouldn't be there be??? :roll:
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!

PackardV8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5072
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by PackardV8 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am.
Suggestions from one who spent time in trade show booths:

Don't take it so personally. As mentioned, the exhibitors who make the show have invested much time and money to be there to meet with their largest present and potential customers. It's their show and their agenda. We attendees who are sometime/maybe customers just need to get with their program.
The issue, is all the tire kickers, that aren't in the industry. Nothing like having to talk to some guy for 20 minutes about his '73 Camaro, that he's thinking about hoppin' up next year, when he gets his tax return, while 3 or 4 professional engine builders wait to talk to me. . . . I'm happy to talk to anyone, as long as I have the time. 99% of the people are patient, and understanding when I ask to excused for a second to answer someone else questions. It's that 1% that.........
When stopping to talk with an exhibitor, have one or two questions worked out in advance that they are likely to have an answer for. Take the info, thank them and move on.

It's not the place to be trolling for sponsorship or free parts for your race team. That sort of buy-in would be more likely gotten at a quiet one-on-one when the supplier has agreed to listen to the pitch.

Everyone wants to buy direct, but one-engine-at-a-time orders aren't going to do it. Ask what's the minimum order or annual volume required. If they don't sell direct, ask who in your region they'd recommend you go through for best price and service.
I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop
Those are general purpose machine shop equipment, one or two examples of which might or might not be found at PRI; it's not the best venue to shop for those. There are several machining shows where you can't walk long enough to see all the choices and where there are special "show-only" deals offered, so be prepared to pull the trigger.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

BLstangin
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by BLstangin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I think sometimes people forget where they came from. No one starts out as a multi million dollar company. It takes work to get there. Do you think some of the big guns in the industry just put a sign on the door and were instant millionaires and knew evertything they do now when the started? Do you think they were never a small guy? Were you never a small guy that had to ask questions and gain contacts? In order to offer a good product and end result you have to get to know the people who know and use their knowledge and services to grow yourself. It takes work, and lots of it and some never get there and that may be me idk yet, does that mean that i'm a nobody that shouldn't be allowed to ask questions and gain knowledge? I won't "waste" my time doing business with them then either. When someone comes in and just wants an oil change while I'm building a $10,000 race motor should I just blow them off? Some of my best return customers started out needing a headlight replaced or an oil change, or some other minor repair that wasn't even worth charging them over and I said I'll get ya next time. Guess what they came back to and that's how my business grows. So I make time for the small guy because they can turn into big guys. We aren't all just worthless tire kickers because we don't know everything and don't have a million dollar business.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 12707
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by MadBill » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm

CamKing wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
j-c-c wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Rick Finsta wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
That brings up a good question: Would inverse radius lobes promote better retention of damp towels? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3447
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by Walter R. Malik » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

BLstangin wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm
I think sometimes people forget where they came from. No one starts out as a multi million dollar company. It takes work to get there. Do you think some of the big guns in the industry just put a sign on the door and were instant millionaires and knew evertything they do now when the started? Do you think they were never a small guy? Were you never a small guy that had to ask questions and gain contacts? In order to offer a good product and end result you have to get to know the people who know and use their knowledge and services to grow yourself. It takes work, and lots of it and some never get there and that may be me idk yet, does that mean that i'm a nobody that shouldn't be allowed to ask questions and gain knowledge? I won't "waste" my time doing business with them then either. When someone comes in and just wants an oil change while I'm building a $10,000 race motor should I just blow them off? Some of my best return customers started out needing a headlight replaced or an oil change, or some other minor repair that wasn't even worth charging them over and I said I'll get ya next time. Guess what they came back to and that's how my business grows. So I make time for the small guy because they can turn into big guys. We aren't all just worthless tire kickers because we don't know everything and don't have a million dollar business.
I don't see the problem here. You are in the industry ... as long as you don't bring your wife/girlfriend and kids to make the crowd even more crowded, no one has any issue with you being there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

j-c-c
Member
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by j-c-c » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:19 pm

MadBill wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm
CamKing wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
j-c-c wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm


Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
That brings up a good question: Would inverse radius lobes promote better retention of damp towels? :-k
My wife said when returning from PRI, she never knew it was so hard to find a good cam, and the roller cams worked out fine :shock:

User avatar
CamKing
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8263
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Denver, NC
Contact:

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by CamKing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm

BLstangin wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm
I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am. I guess I just know who not to talk to. I guess building 4-5 motors year and a couple race car chassis that have won track championships make me a hobbist. I guess my tax id number means nothing and my 4700 square foot building that I run a shop out of after my 45 hour a week job mean nothing because I don't do enough business?? I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop but I guess just wanting one makes me a nobody that shouldn't be there be??? :roll:
Maybe you misunderstood me.
You're the type of person we want at the show.
It doesn't matter if you build 5 engines a year or 500.
It's your profession, and your the target audience.

My problem, is with the guys that should be your customers, coming to the show, and taking time that could be spent on people like you.
This is not a show for the guy that buys the race engine, it's for the guy that sells it to him.

I'm there to help the small engine builder, so he can one day be the big engine builder. I can't do that, if I'm stuck talking to some guy that wants me to sponsor his Bomber car.

I'm sure you also don't want your customers there, trying to make deals on parts, so they can cut you out of your profit.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2347
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by pamotorman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm

My wife said when returning from PRI, she never knew it was so hard to find a good cam, and the roller cams worked out fine :shock:
my wife wondered with everyone selling the same thing how does anyone make any money.

roc
Pro
Pro
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by roc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Regarding chicks at PRI, I'll confess this:

I've caught my eyes staring at long legs under miniskirts more than once, it made me forget the SBC firing order for a while. :roll:

Just sayin'...

Post Reply