Looking for some suggestions for #8 454 noise

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Re: Looking for some suggestions for #8 454 noise

Post by GRTfast »

I have a similar combo with a little less cam that makes 500hp and 530 ft lb. I run 40 degrees timing all in at 2500 rpm with no issues.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
Machtuck
Re: Looking for some suggestions for #8 454 noise

Post by Machtuck »

Hopefully nobody gets to irritated by dragging this post out but At the behest of several people both on and off this board, I’m going to pull this thing apart and put a real set of forged pistons and also a cam change. I have access to a new z45 isky mech flat tappet (244/244/.530/.530/108) and have always wanted to run one. It will/ should also take me to about 6500.
When i assembled this .030/454, i had the mass balanced. The dumb question is do i need to have this rebalanced with the piston change or can i simply have pistons weighed.
I knew running these hypers was a mistake if i wanted to spin this thing.
Also, if anyone has a forged piston recommendation it would be much appreciated. I am also going to zero deck (another thing i should had done). I have 119cc 781’s and currently running a 20cc hyper with .020 shim gasket about .024 in the hole. About 9.6 to 1. I guess better quench would help in the summer with Tennessee hills. 😂