Used Carrillo Rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert
Re: Used Carrillo Rods

Post by The Radius Kid »

fordified wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 pm Thanks for the heads up.

Today was my first post but I've visited this site many times over the years. Great information here and lots of interesting discussions.
Welcome and have fun.
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Thanks. I appreciate the welcome.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Make sure you have the CARR bolts. If so you can run those rods in your application for your lifetime and probably your kids and grandkids.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The older carrillo rods were build to last forever. When in doubt replace the rod bolts.
I have a set I got back in the late 70's that for the time were the best rod Made we ran them in some cup engines and late model stuff but they were used in 11 different engines had to rebush them 1 time but thats it. They are the same BE size they were back in 78 when new.
Yes they are heavy but they were built tough.

the question here is will they work with your crank. the only way to find out is weight them and use the numbers in the bob weight and spin the crank you want to use them on if you have to put lots of heavy metal in them then not the best way to go.
You can always resell them if it comes down to them not suitable
JMO
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Ya, those heavy rods will keep it from accelerating! LOL
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Charliesauto wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am Make sure you have the CARR bolts. If so you can run those rods in your application for your lifetime and probably your kids and grandkids.
Ha! Yeah, they are nice. I could probably leave them to my grandkids to use as hammers.

They do have the CARR bolts, but I'm going to check stretch to make sure that they're within spec.
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:54 am The older carrillo rods were build to last forever. When in doubt replace the rod bolts.
I have a set I got back in the late 70's that for the time were the best rod Made we ran them in some cup engines and late model stuff but they were used in 11 different engines had to rebush them 1 time but thats it. They are the same BE size they were back in 78 when new.
Yes they are heavy but they were built tough.

the question here is will they work with your crank. the only way to find out is weight them and use the numbers in the bob weight and spin the crank you want to use them on if you have to put lots of heavy metal in them then not the best way to go.
You can always resell them if it comes down to them not suitable
JMO
The crank and rods came together so I'm not too worried about bob weight. The pistons, pins and rings will be lighter though.

I broke an engine with aluminum rods. Took out two cylinders and smacked the head. I sleeved the block and surfaced the head. Overall the damage was not too terrible but I've heard horror stories about breaking steel rods. If everything checks out at Carrillo, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll make sure the bolts are good and the clearances are correct.

It'll be nice not having to worry so much about aluminum rods. A lot of guys use them with no problems. But every time my engine coughs I go into panic mode.
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 am Ya, those heavy rods will keep it from accelerating! LOL
Ha! I don't think that. I had an old NASCAR 358 with similar rods. It was a beast and incredibly reliable. Racing was really fun with that engine. I checked valve lash each week, put gas in it, and went racing.

When I went to aluminum rods and light pistons and pins that's when the fun abruptly ended. The engine definitely accelerated faster but one break was all it took to kill my enthusiasm. No guarantees that the steel rods won't do the same thing.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have run a 3" stroke with 6.25" rods and won plenty of class races. I surely wouldnt worry about a 5.7 rod! :D
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

It is a good idea to have Carrillo check the rods for you and the longer rods will work just fine for your application - no problem.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

fordified wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm Ha!

I take it rod ratio discussions are a no-no.
I like rod ratios. The longer the rod the more power.

/troll
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

How many performance parts suppliers out there are willing to look at their product many years down the road and re-qualify its usefulness? Carrillo gets an A+ in my book as a parts supplier.....I have an old 302 Chevy with some 5.700 LJ Carrillo rods in it that were from a Joe Huffaker championship winning SCCA Trans Am motor.....family heirlooms!

I often wonder what the NASCAR Teams benchmark is for cycling through so many sets of connecting rods and how much "life" is left in a used set of Cup parts.....