Does a mag (-) wire give a signal?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JohnP
Pro
Pro

Re: Does a mag (-) wire give a signal?

Post by JohnP »

sc2dave wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 pm Trying to see if my Neg mag. pickup wire is giving a signal to the MSD box for it to signal. I have tried grounding the white wire and the box makes the coil spark, but I want to find out if the mag is indeed sending some signal. Can I check this with a multimeter?
Let's start over. :)

What you were calling mag pickup wires are really the outputs of the stock ignition. These outputs are open collector transistors used to ground the coils during dwell, then unground them to make the spark.

A good way to test them is to use an old fashioned 12v test light. Connect the alligator clip of the test light to 12v, then probe the "Neg mag. pickup wire". The light should blink as you crank the engine. The light will turn on during dwell, then turn off when your stock ignition triggers the MSD.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Post by sc2dave »

JohnP wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:21 pm

What you were calling mag pickup wires are really the outputs of the stock ignition. These outputs are open collector transistors used to ground the coils during dwell, then unground them to make the spark.

A good way to test them is to use an old fashioned 12v test light. Connect the alligator clip of the test light to 12v, then probe the "Neg mag. pickup wire". The light should blink as you crank the engine. The light will turn on during dwell, then turn off when your stock ignition triggers the MSD.
Ok. I'll try this tomorrow. Sometimes the bike don't even want to turn on. if I ground one of the wires so that it makes the coil spark, it'll start after, when I crank it
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

JohnP wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:21 pm
sc2dave wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 pm Trying to see if my Neg mag. pickup wire is giving a signal to the MSD box for it to signal. I have tried grounding the white wire and the box makes the coil spark, but I want to find out if the mag is indeed sending some signal. Can I check this with a multimeter?

Now, this "Neg mag. pickup wire" would be the neg wire from the stock bike wiring, and not the wiring coming from the msd box?
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Yes, the stock wire that would normally connect to the coil negative.

That wire should be able to blink a test light. Use the kind that has a light bulb in it.

Connect one lead to 12v, the other to the stock coil negative wire. The light should turn on in dwell, turn off to make the spark.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Ok. I hooked up a test light to one of the neg wires. The test light was lit up before I cranked it. Once I cranked it, the light went dimmer. I don't believe that it turned off and on when I cranked it.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

An oscilloscope is the right tool for the job, test lights are pretty useless at most things.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Joe, it's the wire that goes to the coil neg.

It looks like your stock ignition module is bad. The light should turn on and off each time that cylinder comes up.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

JohnP wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:44 pm Joe, it's the wire that goes to the coil neg.

It looks like your stock ignition module is bad. The light should turn on and off each time that cylinder comes up.
The bike is a 4 cyl, waste spark setup. It has a single pickup. Can I wire the MSD box straight to the pickup coil?
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

According to the MSD instructions, it will not trigger directly from a magnetic pickup. It needs to be triggered from an ignition module or points.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

I read the instructions and this is the only part that I read about triggering; "The MSD MC-2 Ignition can be used on 2 or 4-cylinder engines using two coils. The MC-2
will operate with conventional points or from the amplifier of an electronic breakerless
system. Capacitive discharge units cannot trigger the MSD" The stock ignition is not C.D.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Yes, the MSD will trigger from points or from the OUTPUT from an electronic ignition, but it cannot trigger from the input wires that trigger your electronic ignition.

The test light shows your ignition module is bad. Replace it then verify the engine runs normally on stock ignition before installing the MSD.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Do you think that it's possible to install an HEI module, with the right amount of pins, to replace this ignitor box? I know i'd have to make connectors for it
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Don't try to use the four pin module. It won't work unless it's connected to an ignition coil.

Mega Squirt has information about GM modules:

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Will this work? http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html Where would I connect the MSD box to?