General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Iron Head ID

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys and gals

I recently had a couple brand new engines come in the shop for a valve train geometry correction and while the engines were built by the same manufacture they each had completely different cyl. heads.

These are a Vortec type injected marine engine and while one engine clearly used the Dart Vortec replacement head the other heads had a large "906" cast at one end of the head.

Now the heads in question here have the "906" cast in the rocker area at one end of the heads. And they were the worst aftermarket head ever seen in this shop. The valve job was not even completely finished the guides were .004 clearance and they had seat inserts on both int. and exh. which cut like aluminum,

I feel they are a chicom head but not positive and since I am doing some R+D for the distributor that is trying to get the issues in the valve train sorted out. They need to know of the short falls of using these heads and I am trying to locate the US supplier of these heads as they are not a quality piece even for a production builder that would just assemble a head with new parts and call it done.

That said there is no other marking or numbers on the outside of the casting just a large "906" cast in the rocker area. And I know they also produce a non vortec 88-95 head as well as an early head to replace the 882 castings as well.

What I need to do is find the US supplier and get some samples of the heads to do testing with to prove the inferior quality as I am wanting to steer them to Dart.

I also spoke with the guys at EQ heads regarding this same engine builder/supplier as they had also been contacted about supplying head castings as well as I think they are going to tool up again but have not confirmed that as of yet but that was the impression I got if they get some love on the head castings as a new supplier for the major builder/supplier.

Any details or comments you care to share here is fine by me. If you have something that you don't think should be public please feel free to PM me with the details

Thanks again for your consideration :D

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Iron Head ID

Has No body see these things??
As mentioned they are just a stock replacement vortec head but I think they are forsure an off shore piece.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I have seen heads like you describe, with seats in both intake and exhaust. My thought too, was wow, the seat install, and valve job was really lame. The ones I saw, had the "906" on them also. They cam from Motorville as Renegade racing vortec replacement heads. They might be pro comp.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Thanks for the lead on the heads =D> . I will check them out

Dave