honing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redgoldstein
honing

Post by redgoldstein »

what is best in honing stone or diamond moly 1.2 ring stock mopar 413 block what do you like thanks
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: honing

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The best isn't in the abrasive. It's all about the honing operator that knows what they're doing!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I don't know if anybody really knows, but it might help if you said what kind of honing machine we are talking about.
redgoldstein

Post by redgoldstein »

sv10 sunen diamond
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

If you have a diamond hone, you need a profilometer. Every block is different and affected by grit, number of strokes, and pressure. Having said that, on average, most OE blocks will give good numbers using 320 with 25 finish pressure, no more than 6 strokes of 500 at 15-20 pressure, finished with 8-12 strokes of brush at 10-15 pressure. I use coolant and a DHH head so the pressure numbers might not apply if using the standard head. IMO using diamond without an SJ210 is a gamble. They are way less forgiving than vitrified if you don't use the right combo for any given block.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Red give me a call today, tried calling last night.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Would not the manufacturer of the rings you are using be one of the best resources for a good start for a answer!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Diamond honing stones are excellent for removal of metal. Not so much for proper surface finish.

While diamond stones last a long time, they are not friable and do not produce sharp cutting edges which are necessary for a proper surface finish, particularly the deep scratch necessary to hold oil.

If in doubt, call tech support at Sunnen; Tim Meara has a wealth of knowledge and experience, and he shares it.
rickseeman

Post by rickseeman »

I'm sure diamond are better now/will get better but when they came out the president of Rottler said in the video that you still need to finish with stones to get a proper surface finish.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

Since switching to diamond years ago, I've never once had a complaint about ring seating or oil consumption, on any hardness of block or even nikasil bores.
JRice

Post by JRice »

redgoldstein wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm sv10 sunen diamond
Not sure what diamonds you have but I use a 55 to size and give it 10-12 strokes of the 805 at 25-30% pressure to finish. I also use the DHH Head.
Depending on what the ring manufacturer wants you may have to give it less or more of the 805 diamonds. I’ve had to play with mine on some blocks that are extra hard (Dart blocks and some BBC)