***Post Pics of what you are working on**

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: ***Post Pics of what you are working on**

Post by cgarb »

This is a real pump...lol Actually it's only half of the casing...
IMG_20171122_154720722_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I feel so inadaquate!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0510170819.jpg
We do have four on the manifold. Fun when the backflow valve hung up and 3 pumps went to 100% and one spun backwards at turbine speeds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Bet that was exciting...that was the largest pump in our shop right now...just by luck. We manufacture pumps of all sizes. I work the largest boring mill in the shop at the moment so I see most of the big work...or anything that's nasty stainless that the smaller machines don't want to do. The larger machines don't have 100 percent constant workload so our filler work is not the easy stuff, whatever work that is the most PIA they send out and keep the gravy...lol. All this pump fun...I would still rather work on engines. I hope to one day leave all this joy behind to open my own shop.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm This is a real pump...lol Actually it's only half of the casing...IMG_20171122_154720722_01.jpg
Is that x275 legal?
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

"Real men do alignments with dial indicators"...That was my bread and butter for many years. I probably taught 20+ people how to do the job. The first time they saw me do it they thought it was magic. Eventually someone talked a manager into buying a laser alignment tool and many complained that it took the craft work out of the job. Some were fascinated by the new gizmo. For the unfamiliar, it would be hard for imagine how many pumps there are in a 300 MGD wastewater treatment facility and the associated collections system. The total amount and variety of machinery is mind boggling, and we had to be able to repair any and all of it. I learned something new every day. After 30 years it all became someone else's responsibility, and I really don't miss it at all. Other than the politics, it was a great job.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30tTkZSE-E
So much to do, so little time...
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

My frugal company...we still do alignments with indicators. They did get a computer program to input the readings into that will calculate the shim pack under the motor. Some of our assemblers are quite fast at indicating them in. What's really nice is when the job has to ship and they don't have the couplings yet. Here, can you do a bare shaft alignment?...sure that will be easy...lol. Enough with pumps...I'm done. Today I'm going to work on 4lbs of turkey and a nap...Happy Thanksgiving Speed talk.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm This is a real pump...lol Actually it's only half of the casing...IMG_20171122_154720722_01.jpg
What's the diameter of the outlet?
Biggest one I was ever around was 40" outlet 40,000 gpm or there about.
It's on a papermachine.
Jim
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

We had discharge outlets over 6 feet.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I thought this post and thread is about speed, racing engine parts, engines and cars guys on here are working on. Would you PUMP crazy guys please start another post so you can get off on your pumps! Thanks.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Might be racing pumps. :D
Jim
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

X2 Newold
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

1500779733049.jpg
MTENGINES wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:09 pm Lets all see what you guys are working on. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM GIRLFRIEND, WIFE, SISTER PICS, haha. Lets make SPEED TALK great again. No need to explain in full detail if you don't wish to. :D :D
Actually a friend and I are doing a throw together 400. Stock rods and pistons with a set of Topline 180 heads I picked up for $140 at a swap meet. The cam is an Erson E110421 Hi Flow II I paid $25 for at a swap meet. The Performer RPM is form the previous engine and the carb is a $20 3310-1 from a bucket under a table at a swap meet. I see a pattern here. It goes into a truck from the now defunct American Supertrucks series. It's a fiberglass body on a GM frame, not sure of the frame origin. It weighs 2800 lb. with the driver. Best pass to date is 12.75 @ 105 mph using a mild 350 and road race slicks for traction. If anyone recognizes the series or knows what frame it is based on we would like to know. Seen naked, GM coils sprung frames all look pretty much the same.
Last edited by rfoll on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 pm I thought this post and thread is about speed, racing engine parts, engines and cars guys on here are working on. Would you PUMP crazy guys please start another post so you can get off on your pumps! Thanks.
At least its something we don't see everyday. Kinda cool. At least its not about electric cars.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Here is my foundation for my 8500 rpm small block chevy. Dont ask me how long it took, I stopped keeping track, but about a year on and off.