Edelbrock vortec marine intake.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Edelbrock vortec marine intake.

Post by dfarr67 »

Just took a second look to confirm, intake is already on the engine. There is no machined pocket to drop the thermostat into- is this normal or is there a work around?
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Edelbrock vortec marine intake.

Post by Newold1 »

Just use a thermostat housing elbow that has the slight thermostat edge recess and a standard flat gasket. Use a 160 degree thermostat on a marine engine in normal temp waters.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

What water pump?

That thermostat suggestion will be fine for a centrifugal (automotive-style) water pump.

It's going to destroy a rubber-vane style marine water pump unless you've got a bypass system on that thermostat.

The 454 my boat came with ran HOT. The water jacket got plugged with rubber bits torn from the marine water pump, and it had other problems as well. The replacement engine wouldn't go above 120 degrees. I bought the aluminum 4-port thermostat system sold by Rex Marine, but I don't know who makes it.

http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html

http://www.rexmar.com/page161.html

Engine warmed up like it should. Held nicely at 160.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Application is automotive vortec 355cid, the intake was configured the way I was looking for vortec/highrise/spreadbore. Reverse rotation serpentine water pump- NOT vortec specific (earlier). Little unsure whether I need the bypass drilled or not at the front of block as the heads are RHS iron vortec.