timing engine without TIMING TAB

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
timing engine without TIMING TAB

Post by chevy art »

my buddy has a chev 2 with a 350 sbc and has a dilema, engine was rebuilt and installed without a timing tab on timing cover. it is extremely difficult to install one now as car has power steering and it is next to impossible to get an aftermarket tab on engine. is there any trick to time this car without a tab. sure hope this isnt a stupid question. i run a nova and a vega and know how to time my cars but this is the only way i know(with timing light) thanks art
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: timing engine without TIMING TAB

Post by DaveMcLain »

I think I'd try to do it this way: Pull off a valve cover using either cylinder 1 or 6(running mates) and get the engine first in split overlap and then bar it around so that the piston is on the way up on the compression stroke(valves closed). Take a piece of wire, I like to use a 3/16 aluminum welding rod and stick it in through the spark plug hole all the way over till it touches the wall on the opposite side of the cylinder. Now carefully bar the engine over till the piston pinches the aluminum rod between it and the deck. Now make a mark somewhere. You can really do it at either end of the engine, maybe you could drill a hole through the bell housing?? Then carefully bar the engine back the other direction and pinch your wire again, make another mark. TDC will be 1/2 way between your two marks.
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

Max vacuum - 2inches ,,TDC stop ,,,, chassis dyno session,,,advance till light ping on load and back off from their....
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

DaveMcLain wrote:I think I'd try to do it this way: Pull off a valve cover using either cylinder 1 or 6(running mates) and get the engine first in split overlap and then bar it around so that the piston is on the way up on the compression stroke(valves closed). Take a piece of wire, I like to use a 3/16 aluminum welding rod and stick it in through the spark plug hole all the way over till it touches the wall on the opposite side of the cylinder. Now carefully bar the engine over till the piston pinches the aluminum rod between it and the deck. Now make a mark somewhere. You can really do it at either end of the engine, maybe you could drill a hole through the bell housing?? Then carefully bar the engine back the other direction and pinch your wire again, make another mark. TDC will be 1/2 way between your two marks.
In short, find true TDC on #1 or #6, paint a mark on the timing cover to match the groove in the damper. Dial-back timing light to set timing using the paint mark as a TDC indicator.

Or, use a timing tape or equivalent on the damper, and a regular timing light.

Either way, the paint mark is the TDC indicator.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Schurkey wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:I think I'd try to do it this way: Pull off a valve cover using either cylinder 1 or 6(running mates) and get the engine first in split overlap and then bar it around so that the piston is on the way up on the compression stroke(valves closed). Take a piece of wire, I like to use a 3/16 aluminum welding rod and stick it in through the spark plug hole all the way over till it touches the wall on the opposite side of the cylinder. Now carefully bar the engine over till the piston pinches the aluminum rod between it and the deck. Now make a mark somewhere. You can really do it at either end of the engine, maybe you could drill a hole through the bell housing?? Then carefully bar the engine back the other direction and pinch your wire again, make another mark. TDC will be 1/2 way between your two marks.
In short, find true TDC on #1 or #6, paint a mark on the timing cover to match the groove in the damper. Dial-back timing light to set timing using the paint mark as a TDC indicator.

Or, use a timing tape or equivalent on the damper, and a regular timing light.

Either way, the paint mark is the TDC indicator.
Yes and then you could always measure the diameter of the damper, multiply by 3.14 and then divide by 10 to get a distance to a mark for 36 degrees.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Firedome8 wrote:Max vacuum - 2inches ,,TDC stop ,,,, chassis dyno session,,,advance till light ping on load and back off from their....
Yep! TDC stop, timing tape and a mark on the timing cover.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!