valve angel

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redgoldstein
valve angel

Post by redgoldstein »

how do you go about picking the best valve angel by that I mean 10 deg or 12 deg angel I want to have custom valves maid mopar wedge head 2.080 valve thanks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: valve angel

Post by Walter R. Malik »

redgoldstein wrote:how do you go about picking the best valve angel by that I mean 10 deg or 12 deg angel I want to have custom valves maid mopar wedge head 2.080 valve thanks
There is no BEST valve angle ... the height of the intake port opening has a lot to do with how it all works.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
redgoldstein

Post by redgoldstein »

so are you saying just buy the basic 12 deg angel valve thanks
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Redgoldstein, what are you trying to accomplish with the engine, details are always needed, the more the better. Thanks Mark.
redgoldstein

Post by redgoldstein »

as much air flow as I can get 250-500 lift nhra stk elm head
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A 12 degree valve inclination angle with the Intake port runner diverging off at some 30 degrees is a very good overall combo provided that the port has enough short turn height to support the colum of air passing over it, of course with the racing / motor rules your involved with I am wondering why your asking this?

Do you know what the peak Intake port velocity is now on your heads at .500" lift with test being done with the Manifold and Carb and with just the bare head?

Peak torque will take place at some 350 FPS with peak hp coming in at a likely 550 FPS with this type of motor, so for starters shooting for 425 FPS in the motors power band provided by the Cam should put you well in the ball park.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

redgoldstein wrote:as much air flow as I can get 250-500 lift nhra stk elm head
I was not aware that you had the choice to change the valve angle with an NHRA "stocker" head.

It was told to me that they are getting lax but, I had no idea about it being that much.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

You cannot change valve angles more than one degree +/- in stock eliminator. He is talinig about the underhead angle and radius.

I do not think there is a lot to worry about there personally. The 10-12 degree that is common seems to work well, or well enough anyway. Heads having different valve jobs with everyone using their prefered angles and widths, it seems like finging one valve for each head would require many valves to test with.

I would have to say the gains or potential gains over currently available valves are not there to any degree.