8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re:

Post by David Vizard »

dwilliams wrote:I'd love to see some information about the welding job...
If you were already a dab hand at welding you would not learn anything you did not already know.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by David Vizard »

lefty o wrote:ive no idea how you can squeeze that long a rod in a stock 350 block without talking something like a 9.5" block with about a 3" stroke crank, maybe even a shorter stroke, and just a big bore...idk. an 8.1" rod in a 9.025deck block dont leave much room for piston pin height nor any kind of stroke on the crank. #-o
3.48 stroke here also a 9.025 block give or take a few thou.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
user-612937456

Re:

Post by user-612937456 »

dwilliams wrote:I'd love to see some information about the welding job...
I would bet they are special sonic welded with the rare under water flux using the special propiatory cobault carbon alloy then processed with diamond grain crystolization hardning tecnique? But thats just a guess I am probably way off. Just something i saw on the rocket labs documenity chanel lol
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Wrist pin tucked under dome....with ring groove support spacers.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

amc fan wrote:Wrist pin tucked under dome....with ring groove support spacers.
A move in the right direction but it still won't cut it.
Now I am not going to say whether or not the following helps but it is totally true.

Think in terms of a CR that you would never expect a functionally sound normal SB Chevy to ever have and a piston crown machined like you have never before seen!!!

DV
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

David Vizard wrote:
BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote:I would not trust it as far as I could throw it. Going to be using a .25'' thick copper gasket?
Trust me here but these rods will survive the peak rpm involved for at least 500 hours. Also no head gasket involved.
Now I am *really* curious. Stock "block" but one piece upper cylinder/head combo (so the effective deck height is 2-3" higher)?

Not an engine at all but some contraption that only incidentally uses a 350 block and crank?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Not a wedge head but high dome hemi with dual quench pads. Pin resides partially within dome. 16/1 compression runs on 87 octane, 2.87hp cube. Has DV finger prints all over it. Havin fun guessing.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

[-o< Please ?
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

psychomotors wrote:[-o< Please ?

Sorry Psycho but you are all going to have to wait until I get back from Australia 5th Oct. Then I will need a few days to get over jet lag and then another few days to catch up with all my email.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

David Vizard wrote:
lefty o wrote:ive no idea how you can squeeze that long a rod in a stock 350 block without talking something like a 9.5" block with about a 3" stroke crank, maybe even a shorter stroke, and just a big bore...idk. an 8.1" rod in a 9.025deck block dont leave much room for piston pin height nor any kind of stroke on the crank. #-o
3.48 stroke here also a 9.025 block give or take a few thou.

DV
2" thick head gaskets have to be killer to make! 8)
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Big, big rod/stroke ratio. Wow!

I read somewhere that a large R/S made an engine less accelerative under load than a small R/S. Several engine builders I heard talking on the subject R/S said they got the same power out of a large R/S on the dyno as a small one but that at the track the small R/S engine was much more throttle responsive and accelerated much quicker.

So, why go for such a titanic R/S? Something to do with rpm and rpm range? Surely this thing is not going to be expected to rev all that high.....
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Ratu wrote:Big, big rod/stroke ratio. Wow!

I read somewhere that a large R/S made an engine less accelerative under load than a small R/S. Several engine builders I heard talking on the subject R/S said they got the same power out of a large R/S on the dyno as a small one but that at the track the small R/S engine was much more throttle responsive and accelerated much quicker.

So, why go for such a titanic R/S? Something to do with rpm and rpm range? Surely this thing is not going to be expected to rev all that high.....

Absolutely no higher than a diesel!
DV
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Ratu wrote:Big, big rod/stroke ratio. Wow!

That's... interesting. Especially if the short rod engine had heavier pistons, which I assume it would.
gowest

Post by gowest »

This is sounding like a dynamic flow bench !
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

So the wrist pin is through the dome somehow....

Wonder how you seal that.