8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by paulzig »

blykins wrote:I came up with a camshaft formula yesterday that works wonders. It only applies to Buick Nailheads with 125A alternators and Felpro oil pan gaskets, but after I get back from my stint in Finland for 6 weeks, I'll fill you in on it. Until I get back, feel free to talk about it for 25 pages so that the thread gets max coverage.
Will you provide a correction factor if I only have the Fel-Pro oil pan gasket? Does the formula scale for larger capacity oil pans?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

GARY C wrote: Just seems like a self defeating statement.
The law of averages helps you find 20, 1 or 2 at a time. It isn't always what you can measure one moment at a time, it's about looking at ALL the data to see a direction. Anyhoosit Gary, good call, I'll be quiet.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote:
The law of averages helps you find 20, 1 or 2 at a time. It isn't always what you can measure one moment at a time, it's about looking at ALL the data to see a direction. Anyhoosit Gary, good call, I'll be quiet.
Don't be quiet...You got too much good to share.
I just don't agree with the idea of judging someone you don't know for something they are doing before you even know what they are doing.
I don't think your doing this but there is clearly a group here that flock to DV's threads only to bash him yet have refused more than one offer for a one on one discussing with him as well as a chance to evaluate and critique his programs.

So what does that tell us?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hello Gary,
Thank You for your reply.

I don't disregard nor compliment DV. He is a smart man, and I have stated, a mentor to me.

Any reasonable person will always question everything unless you already know. One of the greatest lies ever told is "you get what you pay for" How much is that, that you don't know? :lol:

This is the horribleness of the interweb...opinions not based on fact

I enjoy some banter on occasion though. :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

GARY C wrote:
In-Tech wrote:
Don't be quiet...You got too much good to share.
I just don't agree with the idea of judging someone you don't know for something they are doing before you even know what they are doing.
I don't think your doing this but there is clearly a group here that flock to DV's threads only to bash him yet have refused more than one offer for a one on one discussing with him as well as a chance to evaluate and critique his programs.

So what does that tell us?
My goal is to never bash anyone. Now, there's nothing wrong with a little facetiousness, but I don't set out to bash anyone. My question from the get-go is why DV gets a carte blanche when it comes to using Speed Talk as his own personal advertising venue. I've seen him post parts and engines for sale right out in the middle of the main forum. These types of threads only serve to that purpose. Why else would you start a thread with the potential for some good discussion, only to withdraw results for weeks at a time, like it's some kind of engine soap opera?

I don't get it.

DV may very well be a sharp man, but the point is, I don't see anyone else going to these lengths of advertising on Speed Talk.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

paulzig wrote:
blykins wrote:I came up with a camshaft formula yesterday that works wonders. It only applies to Buick Nailheads with 125A alternators and Felpro oil pan gaskets, but after I get back from my stint in Finland for 6 weeks, I'll fill you in on it. Until I get back, feel free to talk about it for 25 pages so that the thread gets max coverage.
Will you provide a correction factor if I only have the Fel-Pro oil pan gasket? Does the formula scale for larger capacity oil pans?
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

blykins wrote: My question from the get-go is why DV gets a carte blanche when it comes to using Speed Talk as his own personal advertising venue. I've seen him post parts and engines for sale right out in the middle of the main forum. These types of threads only serve to that purpose. Why else would you start a thread with the potential for some good discussion, only to withdraw results for weeks at a time, like it's some kind of engine soap opera?

I don't get it.

DV may very well be a sharp man, but the point is, I don't see anyone else going to these lengths of advertising on Speed Talk.
I don't see it that way, though I can see how folks in the business would take exception. It doesn't cost the students anything, and the students are the customers of both DV and the whiners. :)

Often in my experience, the technical folks that spent time and money (sometimes millions of dollars) will share information, but they aren't going to give it away without seeing others' position on the subject.

My old boss would answer any question I had, but he darn sure made me think about it before he offered the answer.

I don't think his ICE acumen is very debatable.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Here's just one example. There are others.....

"Incidentally this motor is for sale so I can finance the next mule which is to be a 5.7 Chevy rodded 306. With a little more upscale performance spec it should deliver a budget build in the region of 375 hp and about 385 lbs-ft. I am looking for offers in the 4 grand region this current motor so PM me if you are seriously infested. ( Sorry, this is not an opportunity for a bunch of you to ask questions – I am already well over-worked.)"

Even I, a plebe, have posted some useful information on the main forum at some point. Does that mean that I can advertise some items for sale on here? If I post more information can I post more items for sale on here?

In my opinion, the whole point of an internet forum is the free sharing of information. There's a reason there is a separate classified section. This is important. It isn't just bitching, or not liking someone. it's a slippery slope if big names get to follow their own rules and change the nature of the forum. A PT Barnum atmosphere is not a true intellectual atmosphere.

JMO,

paulie
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

When I went through school, 1984, that explains everything.
4 nomor

Post by 4 nomor »

Maybe some kind of a jug head design where the piston and rings stay in the removable jug??
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote:I do not know what DV's thinking is on this. I know people say the rod just connects the piston to the crank. But for me this is a rather large change in cylinder volume change verse crank rotation.

Stan
Thanks to an unlimited budget, my Dad did a ton of testing on this. The results showed, that after you get to about a 2:1 rod to stroke ratio, the added weight of the rod costs you more, then the slower max piston speed of the higher R2S ratio provides you.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

GARY C wrote:
pdq67 wrote:Well. what have we found out?

pdq67
That some people have it all figured out and if you do something different those people will do their best to discredit you...You see it in the news every day.
On the flip side there are those who don't stop their pursuit of learning and invent things like light bulbs, manned flight and more efficient combustion chambers.
I wonder where we would be if Smokey, Grumpy and Big Daddy had listened to the scoffers of their day?

Well...being as Smokey said that you could not put a 6.000 rod into a 406 Chevy.........

That's really not that amusing. The amusing part is all the goobers that took the 6.000 rods out for their 406 Chevies...because Smokey said they wouldn't fit.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Mark O'Neal wrote:
GARY C wrote:
pdq67 wrote:Well. what have we found out?

pdq67
That some people have it all figured out and if you do something different those people will do their best to discredit you...You see it in the news every day.
On the flip side there are those who don't stop their pursuit of learning and invent things like light bulbs, manned flight and more efficient combustion chambers.
I wonder where we would be if Smokey, Grumpy and Big Daddy had listened to the scoffers of their day?

Well...being as Smokey said that you could not put a 6.000 rod into a 406 Chevy.........

That's really not that amusing. The amusing part is all the goobers that took the 6.000 rods out for their 406 Chevies...because Smokey said they wouldn't fit.
The flip side of that would be the guy that fell for it but then learned that a shorter rod worked better for what he was doing.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote:Hello Gary,
Thank You for your reply.

I don't disregard nor compliment DV. He is a smart man, and I have stated, a mentor to me.

Any reasonable person will always question everything unless you already know. One of the greatest lies ever told is "you get what you pay for" How much is that, that you don't know? :lol:

This is the horribleness of the interweb...opinions not based on fact

I enjoy some banter on occasion though. :)
Well said!
I see where the others are coming from but I personally like to know if someone has a dyno proven test engine for sell at a reduced price, I never had an issue with Darin Morgan promoting his seminars are releasing newly developed product here and I guess others didn't either.
Without information of what is available then it's hard to know whats available.
Please Note!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

CamKing wrote:
Stan Weiss wrote:I do not know what DV's thinking is on this. I know people say the rod just connects the piston to the crank. But for me this is a rather large change in cylinder volume change verse crank rotation.

Stan
Thanks to an unlimited budget, my Dad did a ton of testing on this. The results showed, that after you get to about a 2:1 rod to stroke ratio, the added weight of the rod costs you more, then the slower max piston speed of the higher R2S ratio provides you.
Mike,
Thanks.

8.1 / 3.48 = 2.32759:1

From some numbers that I have (correct?) a late '90's Ferrari F1 v10-3.0l engine had over 2.4:1 R/S ratio.

I know that there are a number of produce motorcycles in the mid 2.2:1 R/S range.

Is this just the result of them being big bore, short stroke, very high RPM engines or is there some other reason?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV