General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Who has a Jacobs box hooked up?

Post by sc2dave »

I want to see where the wires go. I went with the Jeg's FC one and it hooked it up that way. I cranked it, nothing. I then disconnected the coil wire and put it close to ground for spark and when I touched the Red 12v switch wire multiple times to the battery, the coil sparked every time! I then connected it to see if it would start, nothing. The Red and Black wires came together in a plug end. Here are the instructions; http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstruc ... 341000.pdf
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Who has a Jacobs box hooked up?

Post by Tuner »

How are you triggering it, green wire to points or OE ignition amplifier, or orange and purple wires to magnetic pickup in your distributor? Where is the Jacobs connection to the car's ignition system, to the OE ignition amplifier wire that would originally go to coil negative, or to the distributor magnetic trigger? What kind of car is it?
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

orange and purple wires to magnetic pickup from dist. I'm trying to run it on my '87 toy truck, 22r carbed. when it was time to turn engine on, I held 12v red wire to battery, while someone cranked it. That's how I found out it sparked, when I had coil wire off and close to ground. How can i determine which side of the magnetic pickup is neg or pos?
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Is the original Toyota ignition amplifier in the distributor or on the fender?
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

under the coil on the fender.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Does the original ignition work, make spark?
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Yes, I drive it every day. til recently, I had a 6A connected to it.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

:D
Last edited by Tuner on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

The Jacobs orange + and purple - wires should connect to the distributor mag trigger wires the same as the MSD green - and purple +. Note the purple wires are opposite polarity, Jacobs purple is - and MSD purple is +, so you would not connect the purple Jacobs wire to the same distributor wire as the MSD purple did, but the opposite. Be sure the green wire is not hot or grounded, tape it off.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

ok. will try this later today. Thanks
aquartlow

Post by aquartlow »

FWIW, I had an older Jacobs Mileage Master ignition box w/ Ultra coil that didn't work(bought them at a flea market for $10). I found that the smaller gauge black wire needed to be grounded for the ignition box to work, I removed some of the urethane/potting material on the underside of the box where that smaller gauge black wire was running and found the solder joint was bad. A little solder/soldering iron work and a little silicone to seal it up and the box worked great. I realize the newer boxes may not require that this wire to be grounded, but just a thought. Good luck.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Tuner wrote:The Jacobs orange + and purple - wires should connect to the distributor mag trigger wires the same as the MSD green - and purple +. Note the purple wires are opposite polarity, Jacobs purple is - and MSD purple is +, so you would not connect the purple Jacobs wire to the same distributor wire as the MSD purple did, but the opposite. Be sure the green wire is not hot or grounded, tape it off.
I don't know why anybody would like this guy/poster. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl