bbc guides help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

bbc guides help

Post by prairiehotrodder »

who sells a valve guide for old BBC iron heads that accepts an 11/32 valve stem? bronze or steel but not a 2 piece sleeve type setup.
thanks. I want one where you knock out the old guide and press in the new one.
brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Re: bbc guides help

Post by Abbottracingheads »

SI Industries in Simi Valley, CA.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

those guides were bored after they were installed in the BBC heads and you may find the seat in the head is way off after changing out the guides.
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

prairiehotrodder wrote:who sells a valve guide for old BBC iron heads that accepts an 11/32 valve stem? bronze or steel but not a 2 piece sleeve type setup.
thanks. I want one where you knock out the old guide and press in the new one.
brian
Hi Brian, not sure what you are trying to accomplish but would strongly recommend leaving all the OEM guides intact and working around them.

We do these all day long, stepping down the BBC guides to the .343" stems and installing some SBC intake valves and Mopar exhausts for our 100% stock-appearing customers!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you're not very familiar with the early BBC castings it's very easy to crack the heads trying to remove the original exhaust guides, the intakes are a bit easier!!
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
hpetew

Post by hpetew »

Sorry to veer off of the OP's post but can you install 11/32 liners in the original guides?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

so the smart thing to do is put a new bronze guide inside the stock old iron guide to get it down to 11/32 ?

I want to install 2.19 / 1.88 valves in some old 771 heads that were on a 366 TD truck engine. They have the big oval ports and a 113 cc chamber.
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

You can put liners in the original guides to shrink them or bore them for .500 guides. I only replace the whole original guides if absolutely necessary. If they are still tight and intact you are better off putting the .550 guides in them.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I pressure test castings for alot of shops in my area and I have found that many attempts at removing and replacing the original guides on a BBC will result in leaking coolant. We drill/ream the original guides for a 11/32 valve guide and cut it flush.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

The HD truck heads came with tiny valves. I've put the stock 2.06/1.72 valves in them, but you could very well risk breaking through the casting or end up with a thin enough port that could crack down the road. Tread carefully and good luck.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

thanks for all the advice guys, those heads hit the scrap iron truck yesterday. I had high hopes for them but as i started inspecting them i found a heli-coil in one intake bolt hole, then i noticed other intake bolts had been broken off and drilled out crooked. then the threads of some were ripped out. They could have been fixed with alot of work but i didn't think they were worth it. I may do up some 781 heads instead.
Brian