Lash Caps & Hard Tips?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RTR-1

Lash Caps & Hard Tips?

Post by RTR-1 »

Just wondering what bad happens when lash caps are run on titanium valves with steel tips in them? Does the lash caps cause the tips to come out or break the top of valve?
Thanks guys!
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

I would expect that there would be no difference between an all-TI valve and an inserted-tip Ti valve.

You might call some of the manufacturers and ask their tech support people just to make sure. Trick Titanium made steel-tipped valves last I looked, but it looks like the industry is moving to one-piece valves nowadays.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Lash Caps & Hard Tips?

Post by Alaskaracer »

My valves are Ti and have steel tips inserted to eliminate the need for lash caps. It's getting more popular to do this because lash caps can come loose and fail...the inserts are much more reliable....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

How well do lash caps survive on a hydraulic lifer deal with zero lash?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I would think if they survive on solid roller application, they would work just fine in a hydraulic set up.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

What Ive found to work best with hard tip Ti valves is to use keepers that hold the hardened tips. I am using them on dirt cars with .700+ lift. Not lost one yet.
reed
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cgarb wrote:I would think if they survive on solid roller application, they would work just fine in a hydraulic set up.

Yep, they certainly are strong enough so I guess you should try that then ... we have tried and when the lifters leak down during times of rest those caps end-up, after a while, in the oil trough of the head and no longer on the valve tip, in most cases.

Maybe he will have better luck.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I wonder how hard lash caps typically are when compared to the hard wafer tip that's put on a valve stem? Earlier this year I freshened up a 434 Chevy that I had built for a customer who uses the engine in a jet boat. It had been built originally about 6 or 7 years ago and had done really well in the application but on teardown all of the lash caps were very worn on top right where the roller rocker arms contacted them. When I put the engine back together I eliminated them so it'll be interesting to see how the valve tips(stainless with hardened tip) look after a similar amount of running.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Shouldn't need caps on stainless valves with the hardened tips, they may have been on that engine to correct a geometry problem or to gain rocker to retainer clearance maybe? Thanks for pointing out about lifter collapse Walter, honestly I didn't think about that and I don't try to hand out bad advice. The capture style caps should take care of that problem though.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Do collet caps like this even consistently contact the valve tip? It would be pretty near impossible to encompass the variations in tip length from various mfgrs, split the load between the spring retainer and the valve tip and still guarantee it could be assembled without the locating lip ever fouling the top of the stem groove:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=htt ... t=c&ictx=1
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.