start line stumble

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

the twister
start line stumble

Post by the twister »

finally figured out my stumble off the starting line. Lets go back a while, I am running a 355 sbc with tunnel ram and 2 1050 dominators, lenco 4 spd trans, 2190 lb car. Have had a bad stumble at about 30-40 ft off the line.. Have a had a lot of advice and closest anyone got was to go bigger on the jets. Still didnt cure the problem. Car had this issue when I bought it and I didnt know it. The previous owner finally told me that he had the carbs rebuilt while he was having the engine rebuilt just prior to selling it to me. After lots of research I discovered that whoever had done the carbs had replaced the floats with the wrong type of floats. It had regular brass floats (rectangular) that would be used in a stock carb mounted in a regular single carb configuration. Mine are mounted sideways and as such require the use of wedge type floats.The use of the stock floats results in the fuel slosh to the rear (or back sides) lifts the floats and shuts fuel off momentarily. Whew, that was a mouthful, but car is finally going from a to b with no stumble...Hope this helps someone else ..
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: start line stumble

Post by FC-Pilot »

I love hearing when people find out the root cause of their performance issues and share them. It helps the next guy from having the same problem tomorrow. Thanks for the update.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: start line stumble

Post by mag2555 »

A issue that you don't see on a stationary dyno !
A simple average 1 G force launch at the strip is like tilting the nose of the motor up 26 degrees if it's level to the track to start with!
You will find that you need a minimum of 14 psi of pressure showing up at the regulator from my experience.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!