Who makes the thinest thin wall 12 point sockets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Re: Who makes the thinest thin wall 12 point sockets?

Post by GOSFAST »

BOOT wrote:When I needed to find a thin wall socket for something else I think Durulast at Autozone worked, I basically just took my caliper n ran the gauntlet of local stores.

edit: Did you try a 3/8 size socket with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter? Usually works for me when needing smaller sockets, unless it's a larger size like when I went store to store.
The highlighted section above is how it's done! Use a 1/2" Snap-On 12 pt/3/8" drive deep socket. Never had any issues on the BB platforms with the large springs.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Same socket used on most of the BBC conn rod bolts, 3/8" drive/12 pt, fine for the amount of Torque needed.
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Cheers for that, just bought the one I listed from ebay further up this string, much appreciated on everyone's help....
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

If your really desperate....it's amazing at what a guy can accomplish using a drill motor and a grinder....lathes are highly overrated in these situations :D
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

cgarb wrote:Snap on...or a Chinese socket and a lathe.
Or air ratchet and belt sander.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

One can be pretty inventive out of necessity.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

cgarb wrote:One can be pretty inventive out of necessity.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

True, if it wasn't for that we would still be wiping our butts with corncobs...lol. I am a machinist by trade and have recently been watching YouTube and looking at machine shop videos out of boredom at work. (Very long cycle times) Some of the little inventions people have come up with for mini lathes and such are really cool. Nice to see some people still have an interest in building things themselves.
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

FWIW, waaaay back in the day when Nissan was still Datsun, Hazet made the thinnest socket for getting at
510 driveshaft nuts that I am aware of.
4sfed
Pro
Pro
4sfed

Post by 4sfed »

50 year old Craftsman sockets are considerably thinner than today's Snap-On ... if you can find one.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

pdq67 wrote:Will one of the new sockets that have square flutes in them work. I think they are, "universal", type fitting ones.

I bought a 3/8" SAE set from either Lowes or Home Depot for something like &10.00 on sale a while back just to have.

Wished I would have bought the metric set too.

pdq67
http://www.sears.com/search=universal%20socket%20set

They are like these.

"Universal Socket Sets". Both SAE and Metric, they have, "square flutes", that grip the nut/bolt.

Like I said, I got my SAE set from either Lowes or Home Depot and they were inexpensive. Ie., less than $15 or so, I forget what the off sale prices were, but not bad at all.

One other thing is that I bought a cheap set of, "Tough", Brand 1/4" with a black plastic holder for like less than $10 from our close-by Walmart Super Center. It has both SAE and Metric, a ratchet and a short Phillips bit. Best money I ever spent. It goes up to a 1/2" in size and they are ALL TOGETHER!!

pdq67
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Re: 4sfed

Post by fdicrasto »

4sfed wrote:50 year old Craftsman sockets are considerably thinner than today's Snap-On ... if you can find one.
Thats the truth.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I used to drive up to the great big, multi-state flea market at Rutledge, MO to pick up a few used sockets, extensions, wrenches, and hammers and chisels and such reasonably priced.

pdq67
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

If you find or modify something off E-Bay that fits, make two. Even stock-sized 'Chinesium' sockets crack with too much torque.